We’re halfway through summer, and it’s been quite full on already! For those of you not jetting off to Spain or partying in a field, here’s what you should be eating and drinking in Bristol this month…
The family-run Vincenzo’s on Park Street have started a crowdfunder to help pay for their legal bills following a dispute with developers who want to demolish this stalwart restaurant in order to build student flats. If you want to help the family you can contibute to the fund here.
Coming soon… The Cider Box is launching Cider Club in September, a new subscription for fresh cider shipped straight to your door, featuing rare blends, the latest collaborations, Cider Box store discounts, private tasting sessions and occasionally free cheese too. Get involved!
A few big closures this month, with Jamaica Street Stores, Friska and Lockside Cafe all closing their doors for good. It’s a tough time for food & drink businesses, so try to support your favourites however you can.
Some exciting birthdays – Good Chemistry Brewing turn 7 and has brewed some special beers for the occasion and will be hosting a birthday bash at The Good Measure on Fri 12th as well as one at their brewery on sat 13th. Circumstance Distillery is celebrating their 4th birthday on 10th September by releasing the first Bristol Whisky in over 80 years! Before then you can visit them for a distillery tour and tasting on 20th August.
More good news – The East Bristol Brewery Trail is back for bank holiday weekend on 27th & 28th August! With new Wiper & True tap room just a hop, skip and a jump from LHG and Newtown Park breweries, there’s no reason why you can’t make a quick detour half way round!
Flight Club on Corn Street have launched a ‘Brunch Social’, which features 60 minutes of darts, bottomless pizza and a bottle of prosecco each, alongside a carafe of orange juice for mixing up mimosas. The brunch runs from Thursday – Saturday, tickets £30 pp.
The Bristol Hotel is doing a special afternoon tea for one week only, complete with a gin cocktail! In collaboration with Bristol Dry Gin and Bird & Blend, it also features cakes, sandwiches and scones . You can book their G & Tea or regular afternoon tea here.
A new crowdfunder is being launched for the new iteration of The Pony Chew Valley, which is undergoing a huge refurbishment and will open as a new restaurant and cookery school in Autumn, along with an exciting event programme and various community projects. The crowdfunder will give exclusive access to the first bookings and opening events.
Learn something new or treat yourself this month!
- Wed 10th – Avery’s virtual wine tasting, £60
- Fri 12th – Good Chemistry 7th birthday party at The Good Measure
- Sat 13th – Pitchside dining at Ashton Gate Stadium, from £75 per couple
- Sat 13th – Good Chemistry birthday bash at the brewery
- Sat 13th – Mexican street food class, £65
- Sat 13th – Sunset Party at Clifto Observatory
- Sat 13th – World of Wine at The Square Club, £95
- Sun 14th – Yoga Brunch Club x Wiper & True and Eatchu
- Wed 17th – Thai street food class, £65
- Wed 17th – Full English wine & cheese tasting at KASK, £35
- Thu 18th – Naasto Baasto supper club at The Old Bookshop, £35
- Fri 19th – Brazillian supper club at Harvey Nichols, 3 courses + 3 cocktails for £50
- Fri 19th – Introduction to sushi class, £60
- Fri 18th – She Drinks Beer taproom edition
- Sat 20th – Distillery tour and tasting at Circumstance, £30
- Sun 21st – Limeburn Hill vineyard tour and tasting, £17.50
- Mon 22nd – Diplomatico Rum Club at The Clockwork Rose, £20
- Thu 25th – Gin & Jazz Club at Milk Thistle with Cotswold Gin, £30
- Thu 25th – Cave x Passione Vino, £30
- Sat 27th + Sun 28th – East Bristol Brewery Trail
- Wed 31st – Hyde & Co. Foraging Club, £35
There are a few launches this month, plus a some others coming soon…
Kitchen by KASK is opening shortly on North St, and there’s rumoured to be a new micro pub opening on Gloucester Road, so keep your eyes peeled!
Tonight Josephine is a new cocktail bar opening on Baldwin St later this year, and it’s going to be huge! It’s from the same company who opened Blame Gloria around the corner just a few weeks back (which has had great reviews btw). How many cocktail bars does that bring the total to around Corn St and St Nicks? It must be at least 10 (without counting the generally bars that also sling a lot of cocktails like Revs and Slug & Lettuce).
If you like your tarts Portuguese and custardy, the arrival of Nata & Co. on Queens Road will be of great excitement, and East Bristolians should also be chuffed that the Bianchis group have opened Centrale on their doorstep for drinks and snacks.
Starlings is also about to open on Queens Road in what was formerly the much-loved 99 Queens. This latest iteration does look good though!
There’s a new branch of Mokoko in Box Makers Yard behind Temple Meads, which is good news for those of you who enjoy their cakes and sarnies in Wapping Wharf.
See you in September – don’t forget to tell me what you’re booking/eating/drinking this month 🙂
Other stuff you might like: