We’re little more than a hop, skip and a jump from Christmas now, and while I’m not quite ready to bombard you with festive events yet (the Christmas gift guide is ready though), I am getting very giddy for mulled beverage season.
Last year I did a guide to the best winter warmer drinks in Bristol (to be updated v. soon), and I’m counting the days until it feels sufficiently wintery so that bars will crack out the mulled wine and cider.
Anywho, it’s definitely less festival-y this month, but instead there are oodles of exciting dinner events, workshops and tastings for you to get along to (browse the Events Calendar if you have a date in mind). Grab your mittens and bobble hat, here’s what you could be doing in the coming weeks…
The StreetSmart scheme returns this month, with participating restaurants adding £1 to their bill to raise funds for the homeless. So far The Gallimaufry, Wellbourne, Box-E and Wilsons are among those taking part in Bristol – so show you support by dining out!
Bristol Food Connections and The British Dal Festival have just announced their 2019 dates and event applications are now open – see their respective websites for more details if you’re a food business/scheme interested in taking part. The Dal Festival returns from 10-17th February and will be running weekly dal cooking challenges on its social media accounts from next week onwards – I’m going to see how many I can do, so why don’t you have a go at trying some new recipes too?
FareShare South West are running their #BigBreakfast week from 12-16th November to raise awareness of child hunger in Bristol. Find out more and donate to help distribute food in schools here.
On the subject of great causes, Josh Eggleton is also appearing in a new Channel 4 series filmed in Bristol which is staffed by people living with dementia, aiming to raise money for charity while also highlighting the issues surrounding dementia.
Bristol Cider Shop are launching a Cider Club this month, so you now have the chance to try a broad range of ciders at home. Each monthly delivery will includea mix of local ciders, and one or two guest ciders. All of the ciders will be natural, vegan-friendly and gluten-free, with some limited release and one-off ciders also featuring. Packages start from £28 per box for delivery across the UK, or £18 when collected from the shop.
Some of my highlights from a jam-packed month…
- Little Galicia Beer & Pintxo Pairing at Pata Negra (Thu 8th), £25
- Avery’s Celebration of Wine at Bristol Grammar School (Sat 11th), £25
- The Giant Pumpkin Party at Better Food Co (Thu 15th), £7.50
- Free From Festival at The Passenger Shed (Sat 17th), £10
- Bristol Micropubs Hoppy Bus Tour (Wed 28th), £5
As for Christmassy events, I’m particularly excited by the Alternative Festive Feast menu at Thali (curry for Christmas dinner – perfect alternative for those of you sick of turkey), but you can see a more comprehensive list of Christmas party menus here.
I’ll go into more festive detail in my December guide, but here are some other festive links if you’re looking to get organised…
- Christmas markets
- Christmas events in Bristol
- The Bristol Foodie Gift Guide (I’m in the process of adding more, so keep checking back!)
- New Year’s Eve events
Here are a few special dining events going on this month from cosy supper clubs to an event on board the SS Great Britain!
- Malaysian Kitchen Supper Club, 3 courses of home-cooked food in a cosy setting. Sat 10th, £27.
- Autumn Wine Dinner at The Clifton Sausage. Thu 15th, £55.
- Pasetti and Boote launch supper, a candlelit evening of vegetarian Mediterranean dishes. Fri 16th, £45.
- Tasty Tales at St Werburghs City Farm Cafe, a four course feast intermingled with stories. Fri 16th, £35.
- Titanic screening & light supper on SS Great Britain, a black tie event on this historic ship. Sun 18th, £37.50.
- Syrian Supper Club, a relaxed dinner to raise funds for Syria’s most vulnerable. Wed 21st, £30.
- Vegan demo & dine with Naomi Devlin at River Cottage Kitchen. Thu 22nd, £35.
- Peace Feast at St Werburghs Community Centre, share a meal with communities from around Bristol. Fri 23rd, £12.
- 3 course Mexican Supper Club by Bosh! Fri 30th, £22.50.
- Bosnia & Herzegovinia supper club – I tried Dino’s food at a 91 Ways event earlier this year, so good! Fri 30th, £26.
- Square Food Foundation pop-up at Spike Island Cafe, a seasonal feast including a cookery demo by Barny Haughton. Fri 30th, £35.
Tastings & workshops
Learn something new this month!
- Cider & cheese tasting at Bristol Cider Shop, Wed 7th, £25.
- Prosecco and wine tasting at The Rummer, Sat 10th, £35.
- Beer and cheese tasting at Bristol Brewery School, Wed 15th, £30.
- Magic and Wine Night at Avery’s Wine Cellars, Thu 16th, £30.
- Anything but Chardonnay, Anything but Cabernet at Stoke Lodge, Sat 17th, £34.
- Mastering Pasta class at Little Kitchen,Sun 18th, £38.
- Seasonal frozen cocktails at Brozen Bar, Wed 21st, £25.
- Plymouth Gin tasting at Milk Thistle, Thu 29th, £20.
- That Boutique-y Whisky Company tasting at Hyde & Co, Thu 29th, £20.
Catch them while you can! Salt Street are serving Latin American sandwiches and snacks at Steam on Whiteladies Road (I tried the Cubano sandwich recently – oh my), Spanish kitchen Ajo are at Bristol Spirit from 7th- 31st November, and Hoba Kebab head to The Robin Hood on St Michael’s Hill from 9th November.
Some new places for you to visit…
- The huge Revolucion de Cuba is now open on the Harbourside next to Lloyds.
- Criminal Donuts have started selling at markets around Bristol.
- Grano Kitchen is serving ‘proper Italian food’ in Glitch on Old Market.
- Molto buono, a cosy Italian restaurant has just opened on Park St.
- Two Belly is a new cheese and beer shop on Whiteladies Rd.
- Head to Brendan’s Brewtique on Queens Rd for hundreds of different beers from across the UK, Europe and beyond.
- The mighty Chilli Daddy have opened their latest restaurant on Queens Rd in Clifton.
And coming soon: Cocksure Brewing are opening in Totterdown, Alchemy 198 is a cocktail bar launching mid November on Gloucester Road, The Old Butcher’s turning into Friendly Records Bar from 16th November, ‘easy going Indian restaurant’ Dhamaka arrives at the end of the month, and the team from Spike Island Cafe and Folk House are taking over the ground floor cafe at Colston Hall from this month.
That’s it for this month, I’ll continue to update the Christmas Gift Guide and Winter Warmers blog, so keep an eye to those. Let me know which of these event you get to over on Twitter, or keep up to date with the latest news by following A Life Less Organised on Facebook. I’m also over on Instagram scoffing my face if that’s more your jam.
If you want something else to read:
- Bristol’s Cosiest Pubs
- Bristol’s Best Pizza Joints
- Bristol’s Best Curry Restaurants
- Oldies but goodies: 11 Bristol Institutions
Dates for the diary
or check the Events Calendar)
- 2nd-5th – Imperial Stout Festival
- 4th – Vegetarian tasting menu at Root with Ash Saman
- 4th– Breweries, Brunel and Brigstow beer tour
- 7th – Taproom Tasting: Imperial Stout at Bristol Beer Factory
- 7th – Remy Martin Cognac tasting at Clockwork Rose
- 7th – Cider & cheese tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- 7th – Mexican street food cookery class at Little Kitchen
- 7th – Woodland cookery workshop in Lockleaze
- 8th – An Indian Feast at Square Food Foundation
- 8th – New Bristol Brewery beer tasting
- 8th – Little Galicia Beer & Pintxo Pairing at Pata Negra
- 9th – Local Gin tasting at The Rummer
- 9th – Mushroom Growing at Home for Beginners
- 10th – Moor Beer brewery tour
- 10th – Malaysian Kitchen Supper Club
- 10th – Kefir workshop
- 10th – Prosecco and sparkling wine tasting at The Rummer
- 10th – The Stokes Croft Food Tour
- 10th – Averys Celebration of Wine
- 10th – Port, cheese and chocolate tasting at The Rummer
- 10th – South of the River Food Tour
- 10th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- 10th – The East to West Food Tour
- 11th – Bishopston Supper Club Sunday Lunch
- 11th – Family friendly Sunday roast at The Bristol Cookhouse
- 11th – South of the River beer tour
- 14th – Electric Bear tap takeover at Barley Mow
- 15th – Autumn Wine Dinner at The Clifton Sausage
- 15th – Gin Masterclass at The Rummer
- 15th – Beer and cheese tasting evening at Bristol Brewery School
- 15th – The Giant Pumpkin Party at Better Food Co
- 16th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- 16th – 6 O’clock Gin tasting dinner at The Pump House
- 16th – Magic and Wine Night at Avery’s
- 16th – Pasetti and Boote launch supper at The Forge
- 16th – Tasty Tales at St Werburghs City Farm Cafe
- 17th – The East to West Food Tour
- 17th – Free From Festival at The Passenger Shed
- 17th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- 17th – South of the River Food Tour
- 17th – Anything but Chardonnay, Anything but Cabernet at Stoke Lodge
- 17th – Moor Beer brewery tour
- 17th – Bristol Craft Beer Experience
- 17th – The Stokes Croft Food Tour
- 17th – Bristol Beer Tasting Tour
- 18th – Mastering Pasta class at Little Kitchen
- 18th – Bottomless Burger Club at Burger Theory
- 18th – Titanic screening & light supper on SS Great Britain
- 19th – Pitchfork at Eat Your Greens
- 21st – Seasonal frozen cocktails at Brozen Bar
- 21st – Syrian Supper Club at The Bristol Cookhouse
- 21st – Spain & Portugal wine tasting at Averys
- 22nd – Vegan demo & dine with Naomi Devlin at River Cottage Kitchen
- 22nd – Mauritian Gourmet Evening
- 22nd – Bristol Whisky Appreciation Society
- 22nd – Left Handed Giant x Deya x Magic Rock tap takeover at Small Bar
- 22nd – Good Chesmistry tap takeover at The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer
- 23rd – Supper Club at Aron’s Deli
- 23rd – Peace Feast at St Werburghs Community Centre
- 23rd – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- 24th – Cheese & wine tasting at Avery’s
- 24th – Moor Beer brewery tour
- 24th – Bread & Baking at CoExist
- 24th – Kimchi College: An introduction to Fermenting Vegetables
- 24th – South of the River Food Tour
- 24th – Gin Masterclass at The Kensington Arms
- 24th – The Stokes Croft Food Tour
- 24th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- 24th – The East to West Food Tour
- 25th – Spanish Sunday bottomless Cava brunch at Pata Negra
- 25th – Moulded Chocolate Masterclass at Little Kitchen
- 28th – Tequila & taco pairing at CARGO Cantina
- 28th – Craft Brewing (3 day course) at Bristol Brewery School
- 28th – Siren Craft tasting and food pairing at Brewhouse Bar and Kitchen
- 29th – Plymouth Gin tasting at Milk Thistle
- 29th – A Taste of Marrakech at Little Kitchen
- 29th – That Boutique-y Whisky Company tasting at Hyde & Co
- 29th-30th – Havana Fiesta at The Cuban
- 30th – Three course Mexican Supper Club by Bosh!
- 30th – Bosnia & Herzegovinia supper club at The Bristol Cookhouse
- 30th – Square Food Foundation pop-up at Spike Island Cafe