Between the intermittent heatwaves and storms, there’s plenty to be tucking into this month, from food festivals to extravagant dinners and boozy boat cruises.
Set aside some spending money, it’s a tasty month ahead…
First up, filthy food purveyors Oowee have closed their Montpelier takeaway and have announced that they’ll be reopening it as a vegan kebab joint. This comes after the success of their vegan ventures on Baldwin St and in London, although the North St branch will keep its meat dishes on the menu.
The summer deals keep coming – you can enjoy 3 for £10 tapas at Pata Negra for all of August (12-7pm, Mon to Fri), or get two courses and cocktail for £19 at Harvey Nichols (or three courses and a cocktail for £23) throughout August and September. Racks in Clifton are also doing 2-for-1 on bottles or glasses or Prosecco, plus half price sharing platters every Sunday in summer.
It’s another busy month for mini festivals – first up is Steamfest on Saturday 18th, featuring music from the Bristol Jazz & Blues Festival, tapas from La Yaya and a range of beers, ciders and more.
The following weekend from 22nd-24th is the Apple Bros festival – a collaboration between The Apple and Three Brothers Burgers, so you can expect a lot of great cider, beer, food and music!
The East Bristol Brewery Trail is back on 24th & 25th August, as four Bristol breweries open up their doors for the weekend (Moor, Good Chemistry, Left Handed Giant and Dawkins – Arbor will be popping up at Dawkins) with music, food and lots of tasty beer. A top pick from me!
On Saturday 24th, Deliveroo are bringing their World of Food Festival to The Passenger Shed, with a line-up of restaurants from across the city, all sharing samples of their food for free!
Book something special this month – you deserve it!
- Farm to Sea Dinner at Cowshed (Tue 6th, £45) – four courses of local fish and meat to celebrate the 10th anniversary of The Cowshed.
- Mount Gay supper club at Riverstation (Thu 8th, £40) – a ferry cruise and rum cocktail followed by a three course meal.
- Local Game Tasting Dinner at The Pony & Trap (Thu 15th, £98) – a six course menu focusing on game birds, with accompanying wine pairing from Vinetrail’s select portfolio.
- Seafood Tasting Dinner at Yurt Lush (Thu 15th, £39) – five course tasting menu, including a Haddock & Quail Scotch Egg, Madras Spiced Monkfish Soup, and Mussel and Clam Bouillabaisse.
- Supper Club at The Sundial Kitchen (Fri 16th, £42) – a four course Mediterranean dinner with canapes and a welcome drink in Southville.
- Riesling Wine Dinner at Hotel du Vin (Fri 16th, £70) – a three course meal paired with Rieslings from Australia, France and Germany.
- A Taste of Summer at The Kensington Arms (Thu 28th, £45) – six courses of summer produce including scallops, lobster and more.
Workshops & classes
Learn something new to impress your mates!
- Mangrove Whisky Tasting at The Rummer – Thu 8th, £20
- Wines of Italy tasting at Avery’s – Fri 9th, £15
- Cider vs Cheese on Bristol Ferry – Fri 16th, £25
- Best of Bristol craft beer tour – Sat 17th, £25
- Wine tasting & tour at Limeburn Hill biodynamic vineyard – Sun 18th, £15
- Don Papa rum tasting at The Clockwork Rose – Wed 21st, £14.95
- Vietnamese street food class at Little Kitchen – Thu 22nd, £45
- Vegan food tour – Sat 24th, £50
- Stokes Croft food tour – Sat 31st, £50
Only a couple of new places that I’ve heard about this month – Marmo is a new Italian restaurant opening in what was Bar Buvette, and The Colombian Company is now open in Clifton, as is Snobby’s on Chandos Rd in Redland.
Dates for the diary
- Sat 3rd – Foraging Masterclass at Kensington Arms
- Tue 6th – Farm to Sea Dinner at Cowshed
- Thu 8th – Mount Gay supper club at Riverstation
- Thu 8th – Mexican street food class at Little Kitchen
- Thu 8th – Mangrove Whisky Tasting at The Rummer, £20
- Thu 8th – Wine tasting evening at Thornbury Castle
- Fri 9th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Fri 9th – August triple brewery tour with Bristol Hoppers
- Fri 9th – Magical Macarons class at Little Kitchen
- Fri 9th – Wines of Italy tasting at Avery’s
- Fri 9th – Beer tasting and brewery tour at Wiper & True
- Sat 10th – Pork & cider garden party at Brewhouse Bar + Kitchen
- Sat 10th – Thai street food class at Little Kitchen
- Sat 10th – The Bank Tavern’s Summer Fete
- Sat 10th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sun 11th – Yoga Brunch Club at Gin Tree
- Sun 18th – Cream tea cruise on The Matthew
- Sun 11th – Breweries, Brigstow and Brunel beer tour
- Wed 14th – Rum tour on on Bristol Ferry
- Wed 14th – Gin tasting at Bristol Beer Factory tap room
- Thu 15th – Local Game Tasting Dinner at The Pony & Trap
- Thu 15th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Thu 15th – Seafood Tasting Dinner at Yurt Lush
- Fri 16th – Riesling Wine Dinner at Hotel du Vin
- Fri 16th – Beer tasting and brewery tour at Wiper & True
- Fri 16th – Supper Club at The Sundial Kitchen
- Fri 16th – Pop-up surplus supper at Bristol Junk Food Cafe
- Fri 16th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Fri 16th – Cheese & wine tasting at Avery’s
- Fri 16th – Cider vs Cheese on Bristol Ferry
- Sat 17th – Stokes Croft food tour
- Sat 17th – Best of Bristol craft beer tour
- Sat 17th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 17th – Moor Beer brewery tour & beer tasting
- Sat 17th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 18th – Bottomless Burger Club at Burger Theory
- Sun 18th – Wine tasting and tour at Limeburn Hill biodynamic vineyard
- Sun 18th – Steamfest
- Sun 18th – Cream tea cruise on The Matthew
- Mon 19th – Beer & Cheese at Small Bar
- Wed 21st – Don Papa rum tasting at The Clockwork Rose, £14.95
- Wed 21st: Homebrew Collab #2 at Two Belly
- Thu 22nd – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Thu 22nd – Fruition tap takeover fiesta at Wild Beer Wapping Wharf
- Thu 22nd – Vietnamese street food class at Little Kitchen
- 22-24th – Burgers and Cider Festival at Three Brothers Burgers
- Fri 23rd – Beer tasting and brewery tour at Wiper & True
- Fri 23rd – Fish and chips cruise on The Matthew
- Fri 23rd – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 24th – Woodland cookery experience
- Sat 24th – World of Food Festival
- Sat 24th – Moor Beer brewery tour & beer tasting
- Sat 24th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 24th – Vegan food tour
- Sat 24th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 24th- Sun 25th – East Bristol Brewery Trail
- Sun 25th – Paella cookery class at Cooking It
- Sun 25th – Bank holiday fizz & fondue at Prince St Social
- Tue 27th – Chocolate workshop for children
- 27th – 30th – Childen’s cookery classes at Cooking It
- Wed 28th – Gin tour on Bristol Ferry
- Wed 28th – Sri Lankan cookery class at Cooking It
- Wed 28th – Spain cellar tasting at Avery’s
- Thu 29th – A Taste of Summer at The Kensington Arms
- Thu 29th – Gin Club at Milk Thistle: Porter’s Gin
- Thu 29th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 30th – Beer tasting and brewery tour at Wiper & True
- Fri 30th – Curry Club lunch & cookery class at Little Kitchen
- Fri 30th – Gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 31st – Stokes Croft food tour
- Sat 31st – Fish and chips cruise on The Matthew
- Sat 31st – Lost & Grounded brewery tours
- Sat 31st – Eatchu gyoza masterclass
- Sat 31st – Moor Beer brewery tour & beer tasting
- Sat 31st – Wiper & True brewery tour