Summer! Sunshine! Beer Gardens! Festivals! Harbourside drinks! It’s all going on and more this month, so hopefully the good weather will stick around to make this month even more fun.
You can also follow A Life Less Organised on Facebook if you want to get other food updates throughout the month (plus the odd photos of my eating adventures). On to this month’s highlights!
July is chocca with big festivals across Bristol, from St Pauls Carnival to the mighty Bristol Harbour Festival (19-21 July) and Bristol Pride (1st-14th July, with Pride Day taking place on Sat 13th) – so you’re never far from a party!
August also has its fair share, with the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta from 8-11th August, as well as Redfest in St George on 3rd August, and Valley Fest just outside Bristol on Chew Valley Lake from 2nd-4th August. Start planning your weekends now!
Some of Bristol’s favourite restaurants and cafes will also be serving up green-coloured dishes during the summer holidays in support of FareShare South West’s #ActiveAteBristol campaign. A percentage of the money made from selling these dishes will be donated directly to the #ActiveAteBristol campaign, which this year aims to provide over 40,000 meals to children at holiday clubs and projects across the city.
Here’s where you can enjoy a ‘green’ inspired treats from July 19th – 1st September 2019: Hobbs House Bakery, Mud Dock, TinCan Coffee, No.12 Easton, Yurt Lush, Pearly King Cakes, B-Block in Keynsham, BOX-E and Hart’s Bakery (who are doing a pop-up green lunch event on Mon 29th July), with fundraising also taking place on the Wriggle app & website.
Some very exciting news – Pata Negra are offering 30% off ALL of their menu from 12-7pm, Monday to Friday until the end of July. That’s on tapas, bocadillos and desserts – get involved! Booking essential: https://patanegrabristol.com/
Here are some special meals to book yourself in for this month:
- Art Battle & Sushi dinner (Sat 13th, £15) – a live painting competition, followed by a meal of 12 pieces of sushi.
- New Bristol Brewery supper club at Riverstation (Thu 18th, £25) – a ferry trip to the restaurant, followed by a meal paired with NBB beers.
- Steak & Lobster Night at The Pony & Trap (Thu 18th) – choose from a selection of dishes on the Steak & Lobster menu when you book, then pick your starter and dessert on the day.
- How to eat a crab with Josh Eggleton at The Kensington Arms (Thur 25th, £40) – a three course dinner, including a crab picking demo and a glass of wine. Call or email the pub to book.
- 91 Ways: Vietnamese Supper Club (Fri 26th, £30) – A three course Vietnamese feast cooked by Trung Trinh.
- Season & Taste takeover at Good Chemistry brewery (Sat 27th) – the team behind Masa + Mezcal will be serving their tasty tacos to go with their collaboration beer from Good Chemistry.
- #31daysofgermanriesling tasting dinner at Box-E (Wed 31st, £80) – 4 courses, snack & 5 wines. Sittings at 6pm or 8.30pm. Email email@example.com to book.
Workshops & tastings
Try something new, learn some new facts to impress your buddies:
- Craft beer & alpine cheese pairing at Fierce & Noble (Fri 12th, £30)
- Macaron class at ANNA Cake Couture (Tue 16th, £95)
- Thirsty Thursday: Explore Old Market (Thu 18th, £22)
- Bristol Whisky Appreciation Society (Thu 18th, £20)
- Lost & Grounded brewery tour (Sat 20th, £15)
- Afghan cookery class at Bakesmiths (Wed 24th, £38)
- Lebanese cookery class at Primrose Cafe (Wed 24th, £38)
- Averys Summer Series: Wines of France (Fri 26th, £15)
- A Taste of Marrakech at Little Kitchen (Wed 31st, £50)
Some new places to visit…
- The stunning Left Handed Giant brewpub is now open in Finzels Reach.
- Coconut Chilli are currently running a pop-up on Whiteladies Rd.
- The pretty Foliage Cafe is now open on Regent St in Clifton.
- The Old Library Cafe is now open in Long Ashton.
- Find the dinky Secret Larder in a garage in Easton.
- Get a taste of Hungarian food at Budapest Cafe in Clifton.
- My Burrito is now open on Cathedral Walk near Friska and Steak of the Art
- Taco Barra has taken up a stall in the Glass Arcade at St Nicholas Market.
- Chef Freddy Bird has opened his own bistro, little french, in Westbury-on-Trym.
- Pionka’s Chocolate is doing some damn fine chocolate treats on Stokes Croft.
- Secret Cafe is now tucked away next to St Stephens Church.
- The Star & Garter in St Pauls reopened with Dave Chapelle & Dynamo in attendance!
And coming soon, Bianchis from the team behind Pasta Loco is opening in what was formerly Bells Diner in Montpelier, Snobbys wine bar will be opening within the next few weeks on Chandos Road, and apparently there’s a gin & juice bar coming to Park St.
Dates for the diary
- Wed 10th – Craft beer brewing 3 day course at Bristol Brewery School
- Thu 11th – Fondue Night at Two Belly
- Thu 11 – Sun 14th – Brandon Hill Summer Festival
- Thu 11th – Cannabis beer at Bottles & Books
- Fri 12th – Craft beer & alpine cheese pairing at Fierce & Noble
- Fri 12th – Peace Feast at St Werburghs Community Centre
- Fri 12th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 12th – Wiper & True beer tasting and brewery tour
- Fri 12th – Sat 13th: Smoked Vegan at the Good Chemistry brewery
- Fri 12 – Sun 14th – Arrogant Sour Fest at Moor Beer
- Fri 12th – Romeo & Juliet screening with cocktails at Bristol Spirit
- Fri 12th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Sat 13th – Drag Me To Bottomless Brunch at Prince St Social
- Sat 13th – Moor Beer brewery tour and beer tasting
- Sat 13th – Smoke Fest at Tobacco Factory
- Sat 13th – Art Battle & sushi dinner at Trinity Bristol
- Sat 13th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Tue 16th – Macaron class at ANNA Cake Couture
- Wed 17th – Gin tour on Bristol Ferry
- Thu 18th – Thirsty Thursday: Explore Old Market
- Thu 18th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Thu 18th – New Bristol Brewery supper club at Riverstation
- Thu 18th – Bristol Whisky Appreciation Society
- Thu 18th – Vibrant Forest tap takeover at Brewdog
- Thu 18th – Steak & Lobster Night at The Pony & Trap
- Fri 19th – Sea shanties and fish & chips on The Matthew
- Fri 19th – Pobi Kitchen supper club at The Rose of Denmark
- Fri 19th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Fri 19th – Wiper & True beer tasting and brewery tour
- Sat 20th – Moor Beer brewery tour and beer tasting
- Sat 20th – Lost & Grounded brewery tour
- Sat 20th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Sun 21st – Magical Macrons at Little Kitchen
- Sun 21st – Vegan and Veggie Tapas roast at Bristol Spirit
- Mon 22nd – Ready, Steady, Cook! fundraising dinner for FareShare at Box-E (sold out but tickets are still available for the super raffle – buy from the restaurant)
- Tue 23rd – Fiesta biscuits class at ANNA Cake Couture
- Wed 24th – Beer & cheese pairing at Lost & Grounded
- Wed 24th – Afghan cookery class at Bakesmiths
- Wed 24th – Aromatics cellar tasting at Avery’s
- Wed 24th – Lebanese Cookery Class at Primrose Cafe
- Wed 24th – G&Tea Party at Clockwork Rose
- Wed 24th – Thai Street Food class at Little Kitchen
- Thu 25th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Thu 25th – How to eat a crab with Josh Eggleton at The Kensington Arms
- Thu 25th – Fantome tap showcase at Brewdog Bristol
- Fri 26th – Wiper & True beer tasting and brewery tour
- Fri 26th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Fri 26th – Averys Summer Series: Wines of France
- Fri 26th – Freixenet Garden Party at The Botanist
- Fri 26th – The Lion King afternoon tea at The Cosy Cafe
- Sat 27th – Clandesdiner
- Sat 27th – Moor Beer brewery tour and beer tasting
- Sat 27th: Season & Taste takeover at Good Chemistry Brewing
- Sat 27th – Bristol Dry Gin tasting
- Sat 27th – Mastering Pasta at Little Kitchen
- Sun 28th – Cheese & beer charity evening at Two Belly
- Mon 29th – ‘Green-inspired’ lunch at Hart’s Bakery for FareShare SW
- Tue 30th – Giro: Endless Pizza at Bertha’s Pizza
- Wed 31st – A Taste of Marrakech at Little Kitchen
- Wed 31st – Riesling dinner at Box-E
- Wed 31st – Rum tour on Bristol Ferry