‘Tis the season to be jolly, for ’tis mulling season! Regular readers will know how much I love a mulled beverage, and that combined with my preference for animal-patterned jumpers means that we’re now firmly ensconced in my favourite time of the year.
It’s an epic list ahead, so feel free to skip to the event list at the bottom (or the calendar if easier), but I’m excited to tell you all about the dinners, special events and new places coming to Bristol this month.
Get cosy under your dinosaur blankie (just me?), here’s what’s going down in November…
Dinners & Big Deals
First things first – a huge congrats to Paco Tapas on their Michelin star! That now brings the total number of Michelin-starred restaurants in Bristol to 4 (the others being Paco’s next door neighbour Casamia, plus The Pony & Trap in Chew Magna and Wilks in Redland).
A fair few other Bristol locations got an honourable mention in the 2018 guide as well as several others winning in the Observer Food Monthly Awards (not to mention the excellent winners at this year’s Crumbs Awards) – so it’s a good time to get munching!
On to scrumptious dinners this month – on Saturday 4 Nov you can head to Spike Island Cafe for a three course Greek dinner accompanied by wine-based storytelling at Spike Island Cafe.
Wapping Wharf are throwing a patio party on Friday 10 Nov (followed by their Christmas celebrations on 2nd Dec) – this belated opening party for Cargo 2 will feature music from DJs, a raffle and special discounts from traders, including art from The Portside Gallery, hand-crafted bikes from Temple Cycles, bread and cakes from The Assembly Bakery and craft beers from The Beer Necessities.
There will also be the regular takeaway treats on offer from burger maestros Squeezed, mega salt beef sarnies from The Pickled Brisket, curry & Indian snacks from Gopal’s Curry Shack, tasty pizza from Pizzarova and plenty more to get your mouth watering!
Enjoy a three course banquet from 12 aspiring young chefs at Bristol 24/7 & Square Food Foundation’s Autumn Feast on Thursday 16th. Aimed at inspiring the next generation of chefs for the city, the event is priced at £40 for what promises to be a special evening.
Hamilton House are hosting the first in a new series of supper clubs on Thursday 23rd – Mageiros Pop-Up Restaurant events aim to bring together people from different culture & backgrounds with the aim of sharing stories and food. The first event is a menu from Pakistan, Dahi Bara, (lentil dumplings) Makkai ki roti, (corn flat bread) and Lamb karhai. Tickets are £25 including a welcome drink and food.
If you’re after something a bit different, try the Sephardic Dinner at Aron’s (Friday 24th, £25) – 3 courses of Jewish dishes including choices of latkes, chicken soup and matzo balls, ghoulash, sólet and hot deli sandwiches.
Other specials dinners this month include a Sri Lankan feast from Bosh! on Friday 3rd, a game tasting menu at The Knowle on Wed 8th, a Champagne dinner at Harbour Hotel on Mon 13th and an Aussie punk wine dinner at Hotel du Vin on Thursday 30th.
Sorry to the grinches out there, but Christmas is nigh! I figured I’d help those with Christmas shopping on their to-do list and tell you about the markets & fairs coming up in the next few weeks:
- 5 Nov – BS5 Market
- 10 Nov-24 Dec – Bristol’s Christmas Market (Broadmead)
- 11 Nov – North Street Winter Fair
- 12 Nov – Tobacco Factory Sunday Market (every Sunday)
- 18 Nov – Bristol Grammar School Christmas Market
- 19 Nov-24 Dec – St Nicholas Christmas Market
- 25 Nov-24 Dec – Christmas Harbourside Market (weekends only)
- 26 Nov – Indoor Artisan & Vintage Market at Ashton Gate Stadium
- 2 Dec – Greenbank Market, Easton
- 2 Dec – Royal York Crescent Christmas Fayre
- 2 Dec – Gloucester Road Cosy Christmas Market
- 3 Dec – Christmas Market at Arnos Vale Cemetery
- 3 Dec – BS5 Market
- 6 Dec – Henleaze Christmas Festival
- 7 Dec – Bishopston Christmas Market
- 8 Dec – St Werburghs Christmas Market
- 11 Dec – St Nick’s Night Market
Classes & Workshops
Learn something new, or give someone the gift of KNOWLEDGE (and boozy tasters)
- Distiller’s Table: Bonfire, Sat 4th, £30: Sample a 3 imaginative cocktails with ingredients inspired by Bonfire Night.
- Cookery lessons from the Horn of Africa, Tues 7th, £8: Make a selection of Sudanese recipes and sit down to eat & chat afterwards.
- Cheese & Cider Tasting at Bristol Cider Shop, Fri 10th, £25.
- Kimchi lessons at Sky Kong Kong (11th, 12th, 18th, 25th & 26th), £35: Learn how to make 3 type of Kimchi.
- Vegan cheese workshop, Sat 18th, £22: Learn 3 different methods of making vegan cheese, with the opportunity to try lots too!
- Craft Brewing: Comprehensive Course, Tue 21st-Thu 23rd, £400: Learn the science and technology behind brewing at this three day course.
- Single origin chocolate workshop at Zara’s Chocolates, Sun 22nd, £50: Learn how to work with chocolate, and get to home what you’ve made.
- Pata Negra Wine Club: The Changing Face of Rioja, Mon 23rd, £22.50.
- Port, Cheese & Chocolate Tasting at Bristol Wine School,Sat 25th, £40.
- Christmas Truffles Masterclass at Little Kitchen, Sun 26th, £40.
Bristol Beer Week may have been and gone, but there are still plenty of beer-tastic events taking place in November:
- 1st-15th – Lost & Grounded tap takeover at Buttermilk & Maple
- 2nd – Beat the Brewer Quiz at Bristol Beer Factory
- 3rd – Left Handed Giant taproom party
- 11th – Good Chemistry tap takeover at Snuffy Jack’s in Fishponds
- 14th – Brewing Crash Course at Bristol Brewery School
- 18th – Wiper & True Brewery Tour
- 23rd – Voodoo Brewing tap takeover at Brewdog
- 24th – Alphabet Brewing Co. tap takeover at Three Tuns
- 30th – Lambic and Geuze Tasting at Bristol Brewery School
Because I didn’t have enough to tell you this month(!), I thought it was worth posting a quick reminder of some of the food & drink tours available in Bristol – these are well worth your time, or are good ideas for Christmassy gifts:
- EatWalkTalk – A walking tour of the old city centre of Bristol, combining history & local knowledge with 9 food & drink tastings.
- The Bristol Food Tour – regular food tours around Stokes Croft & North St, as well as a dedicated vegan tour and a cycling tour of the city exploring the best foodie hotspots!
- Bristol Brewery Tours – A fun tour of some of Bristol’s popular breweries, including a tasting session on a Bristol Ferry.
- Bristol Hoppers – Walking tours showing off Bristol’s best craft beers spots (both breweries and bars) as well as trivia about the city’s history and heritage.
I ran out of space to name the newcomers last month, so here’s a list of the latest places to visit:
- Cafe Jackalope – A kid-friendly cosy cafe on Gloucester Road.
- The Bristol Kitchen – an environmentally conscious community kitchen in The Galleries, Broadmead.
- The festive Apres Bar will return to Millennium Square from 16 Nov until 16 Jan.
- Albatross Cafe – a snazzy Berlin-inspired bar/cafe on North Street in Bedminster.
- RePlay – a gaming bar/cafe on Cheltenham Road.
- Foundations – a nutritionally-balanced cafe on Baldwin Street.
- Croft Ales Taproom – a brewery & bar just off Stokes Croft.
- The Star & Dove has now reopened under new management in Totterdown.
- Rosa Tapas is a new tapas bar on Whiteladies Rd from the team behind Zazu’s Kitchen.
- Chai Walla – 2nd branch of a popular Bath-based Indian restaurant on Stokes Croft.
- Popti & Beast – a new deli and shop selling meat and breads in St Werburghs.
- Oowee Diner have opened a 2nd branch of their popular burger joint on North St.
- The Clockwork Rose – a Steampunk style cocktail bar in the centre.
- Sprinkles Gelato is a new dessert parlour on Millennium Promenade.
- Rocotillos have opened their second American style diner on Gloucester Road.
- Pearly King Cakes have opened on Chandos Road in Redland.
And coming soon…you can get cooking lessons from Bristol Cookhouse on Gloucester Road, eat Argentinian-inspired tapas at Otira in Redland, sip liquid nitrogen ice cream cocktails at Brozen’s upcoming bar, eat delicious ravioli at Pasta Loco’s soon-to-be little sister Pasta Ripiena, slurp some noodles at Wok Boxtix in The Arcade in Broadmead (or try some Vietnamese street food at their neighbour Rollin Vietnamese), munch sourdough pizza at Franco Manca‘s latest branch on Clare St, and brace yourselves for more brilliant bao at Wokyko’s new branch, opening soon…
- Bristol’s Cosiest Pubs
- 11 Bristol Foodie Institutions
- Bristol’s Best Burgers
- Pub Crawl Routes around Bristol
- Bristol’s Best Pizza Joints
Dates for the Diary
(or you can check the calendar)
- Thu 2nd – Beat the Brewer Quiz at Bristol Beer Factory
- Thu 2nd – Cazcabel takeover at The Cotham Arms
- Fri 3rd – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 3rd – La Cosa Nostra at Este Kitchen
- Fri 3rd – Toddler takeover: Fantastic Feast at We The Curious
- Fri 3rd – Left Handed Giant taproom party
- Fri 3rd – Bosh supper club: Sri Lankan feast
- Fri 3rd-Sat 4th – Murder Mystery dinner at The Piano Bar
- Sat 4th – Distiller’s Table: Bonfire at Psychopomp
- Sat 4th – Prairie Rose Presents: Americana music, food & cocktails
- Sat 4th – 3 course Greek dinner and storytelling at Spike Island Cafe
- Sun 5th – BS5 Market in St George’s Park
- Sun 5th – Chocolate tempering masterclass at Zara’s Chocolates
- Sun 5th – Pralines and truffles masterclass at Zara’s Chocolates
- Sun 5th – Decadent Desserts at Little Kitchen
- Mon 6th – Fine Wine Night at Clifton Wine School
- Tue 7th – Pizza making class at Pizza Workshop
- Tue 7th – Cookery workshops from the Horn of Africa
- Wed 8th – Madeira tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Wed 8th – Game tasting menu at The Knowle
- Wed 8th – Vegetarian cookery class at Little Kitchen
- Thu 9th – 91 Ways Sudan Meal
- Thu 9th – Gin & Cheese Night at Cox & Baloney
- Thu 9th – Feastie Boys pop-up at The Eating Room
- Thu 9th – Pata Negra Sherry Club
- Fri 10th – Cheese & Cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 10th – Wings Diner pop-up & Arbor Ales tap takeover at The Robin Hood
- Fri 10th – Wapping Wharf patio party
- Fri 10th – Bristol’s Christmas Market launch (until 24 Dec)
- Sat 11th – Champagne and sparkling wine tasting at Bristol Wine School
- Sat 11th – Good Chemistry tap takeover at Snuffy Jack’s
- Sat 11th – Avery’s Celebration of Wine
- Sat 11th – Food & Wine Matching course at Bristol Wine School
- Sat 11th – North Street Winter Fair
- Sat 11th- Sun 12th – Kimchi workshops at Sky Kong Kong
- Mon 13th – Piper Heidsieck Champagne dinner at Harbour Hotel
- Tue 14th – Bubbles Night at Clifton Wine School
- Tue 14th – Brewing Crash Course at Bristol Brewery School
- Tue 14th – Introduction to Wine evening at Clifton Wine School
- Thu 16th – Cheese & wine tasting at Thornbury Castle
- Thu 16th – Bristol 24/7 Autumn Feast
- Thu 16th – New Bristol Brewery Tasting Evening
- Fri 17th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 18th – Bristol Food Tour: Stokes Croft
- Sat 18th – Wiper & True Brewery Tour
- Sat 18th – Bristol Brewery Tour
- Sat 18th – Vegan cheese workshop
- Sat 18th – Kimchi workshop at Sky Kong Kong
- Tue 21st-Thu 23rd – Craft Brewing: Comprehensive Course at Bristol Brewery School
- Wed 22nd – Over-aged Malt Whisky tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Wed 22nd – Bordeaux tasting at Avery’s Wine Cellars
- Wed 22nd – Single origin immersion class at Zara’s Chocolates
- Thu 23rd – An Indian Feast at Square Food Foundation
- Thu 23rd – Thankgiving at Brewhouse Bar & Kitchen
- Thu 23rd – Mageiros pop-up from Pakistan
- Thu 23rd – Pata Negra Wine Club: The Changing Face of Rioja
- Thu 23rd – Champagne & sparkling wine eve with fish & chips at Catch 22
- Thu 23rd – Chivas Whisky Club at Hyde & Co
- Thu 23rd – Voodoo Brewing tap takeover at Brewdog
- Fri 24th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 24th – Alphabet Brewing Co. tap takeover at Three Tuns
- Fri 24th – Sephardic dinner at Aron’s
- Sat 25th – Wiper & True Brewery Tour
- Sat 25th – Prosecco & Italian sparkling tasting at Bristol Wine School
- Sat 25th – Port, cheese & chocolate tasting at Bristol Wine School
- Sat 25th & Sun 26th – Kimchi workshop at Sky Kong Kong
- Sun 26th – Sunday Roast at Bishopston Supper Club
- Sun 26th – Bristol Pudding Society Christmas Special
- Sun 26th – Christmas truffle masterclass at Little Kitchen
- Sun 26th – Spanish Sunday bottomless Cava & tapas at Pata Negra
- Tue 28th – Christmas cake masterclass at Little Kitchen
- Thu 30th – Chase Distillery Gin Club at Milk Thistle
- Thu 30th – Lambic and Geuze tasting at Bristol Brewery School
- Thu 30th – Aussie Punk Wine Dinner at Hotel du Vin