Welcome to winter proper! I hope even the grinches among you are enjoying the sparkly lights, warm drinks and bumper-sized Christmas sarnies that make this month extra exciting.
Get in the festive spirit in Wapping Wharf on Saturday 2nd – businesses will be coming together to celebrate Christmas by offering discounts and special offers.
- Woky Ko will be serving a limited-edition Christmas Bao. Cargo Cantina will be doing mandarin Margaritas (oh yes) and chestnut tacos.
- Corks of Cargo will be offering free tasters of two different Madeira wines, plus traditional molasses cake and mulled wine. Or for something warm, have a hot gin toddy on Box-E‘s terrace, or head to Bristol Cider Shop for a festive mulled cider.
- The Bristol Cheesemonger will be offering a discounted cheese selection as well as some festive tasters.
- Root will offer a free glass of mulled wine with Stilton and Eccles Cake taster bites, Pigsty are doing a hog roast and The Pickled Brisket will be doing a Pastrami & Turkey Reuben (!!) plus their new Cargo grilled cheese sarnie.
- Children will eat free at Wild Beer when accompanied by an eating adult from 12 – 6pm, and all day at Salt & Malt. At Bertha’s Pizza, kids can eat free between 12 and 6pm when an accompanying adult purchases a pizza.
The Wild Winter Feast at Hamilton House on Friday 8th (£34.50) looks very special – a festive banquet of wild & ancient foods, accompanied by performances of stories and music.
That same evening, Bosh are doing a three course supper club (£20), including antipasti platters to start, followed by slow roasted pork shoulder or aubergine Parmigiana. Vegan alternatives are available.
Experience a Russian feast and storytelling at Spike Island Cafe on 8th Dec (£30) – An authentic evening of Russian food & folklore, including borsch, smoked meats, blini & plenty of vodka!
The Spicery are hosting an Open Day & Christmas Thali lunch on Sat 9th, with gift market, crafty activities and tasty thalis (£10 for adults, £5 for children), and the following day you can head to The Forge in the centre for the A Tavola winter pasta & wine bar. Choose from dishes including buttered gnocci with black pepper, rocket and pecorino, Pappardelle with been shin ragu, caramel panna cotta or burnt ricotta cherry pie.
Bring a bunch of friends to Brunchmas at The Cauldron – a special Christmas Eve brunch with half price Prosecco!
And The Steam Crane in Bedminster is doing an 8 course feast on Christmas Day for those of you who don’t fancy cooking.
New Year’s Eve
Some ideas for dinners, parties and other ways to see out 2017 in style…
- New Year’s Fiesta at Pata Negra, 9pm-3am, £35 including two hours of bottomless Cava and pintxos from 9-11pm, all night entry and entertainment.
- Burger Theory’s Bottomless Burgers & Booze – 6pm-8:30pm, £49 pp for unlimited slider burgers, sides, fizz and beer, plus a welcome cocktail and canapes.
- Small Bar are having their party from 7pm-2am, tickets are £43 which includes a 2 course meal from The Plumed Serpent, 7 beers and a special Small Bar memento.
- New Year Tropicana at Bambalan – 6:30pm-1am, £35 including a cocktail on arrival, 4 courses and all night entertainment.
- Harry Potter Party at Steam Bristol – 8pm-2am, £10 or £5 for earlybird tickets – come in fancy dress, meet Hagrid and enjoy a welcome cocktail before dancing the night away, Hogwarts style.
- The Smuggler’s Ball at Milk Thistle – 9pm-3am, £35, includes 3 historically inspired cocktails in your ticket price, as well as all night entertainment. Fancy dress is encouraged!
Learn something new before the year is out!
- Discover the science behind food, including digestion, taste, why we eat what we eat and the impact of different types of food on the wider environment at After Hours: Feast at We The Curious on Thur 7th (£7.95).
- Sample sherries matched with tapas at Bordeaux Quay on Sat 9th (£35).
- Make some stocking fillers in the Christmas preserves class at Little Kitchen on Sat 9th (£50).
- Learn about vegetarian cookery from field to fork in a trip to the Community Farm including a cooking demo from award-winning chef Jo Ingleby (£52).
- Try some festive beers at the Porter and stout evening with Bristol Hoppers (£15).
Some more new places to check out around town…
- East Village Cafe is a cute vegan cafe in Clifton Village.
- Voodoo-Q are opening a new smokehouse on Gloucester Road any day now…
- Edit Bristol is an audiophile bar and restaurant(?) now open on Cheltenham Road.
- Convivio is a friendly new cafe lounge on Cotham Hill.
- Popular chains Franco Manca and The Real Greek have opened in the centre and Cabot Circus respectively.
That’s it for this month, I’ll be posting my review of 2017 in a couple of weeks, so be sure to tell me on Twitter or Facebook which places/dishes/drinks have been your highlights of the year. In the mean time, if you liked this, you might also like…
- Bristol’s Best Burgers
- Bristol’s Cosiest Pubs
- Bristol’s Classiest Cocktail Bars
- 11 Bristol Institutions
Dates for the Diary:
(or check the Calendar)
- Fri 1st – Festive cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 1st – Jazz & wine dinner at Avery’s Wine Merchants
- Fri 1st – Sat 2nd – Murder Mystery Dinner at The Piano Bar
- Sat 2nd – Winter Fayre at Feed Bristol
- Sat 2nd – Festive fun at Wapping Wharf
- Sat 2nd – Clandesdiner supper club
- Sat 2nd – Festive Bonanza on Gloucester Road
- Sat 2nd – Distiller’s Table: Christmas at Psychopomp
- Sat 2nd – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 3rd – Hempty Plates Winter Indulgence at The Library
- Sun 3rd – BS5 Market in St George Park
- Sun 3rd – Bottomless burgers & booze at Burger Theory
- Sun 3rd – St Werburghs Winter Fair
- Tue 5th – Sour Beer Brewing Course at Bristol Brewery School
- Wed 6th – History talk with 5 course lunch at Ston Easton Park
- Wed 6th – Wine dinner at Hotel du Vin
- Wed 6th – Baileys Boat Cruise
- Thu 7th – Pizzarova 2nd birthday bottomless pizza & prosecco party
- Thu 7th – Eat Christmas With Us: Tara’s Table
- Thu 7th – After Hours: Feast at We The Curious
- Thu 7th – Gin & Tonic tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Thu 7th – After Hours: Feast at We The Curious
- Thu 7th – Christmas Gin Cruise
- Thu 7th – New Bristol Brewery tasting evening
- Fri 8th – Bosh 3 course supper club
- Fri 8th – Festive cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 8th – Wild Winter Feast at Hamilton House
- Fri 8th – Christmas food market at Steam
- Fri 8th – Russian feast and storytelling at Spike Island Cafe
- Fri 8th – Grains, gradients & graffiti beer tour
- Fri 8th – Christmas wine tasting & charity auction at Averys
- Sat 9th – Bristol Viva! Vegan Festival
- Sat 9th – The Palace Meets Bristol: Dinner, Documentary & Drinks
- Sat 9th – A Collaborative Christmas Market at Good Chemistry HQ
- Sat 9th – Sherry & tapas tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Sat 9th – The Spicery Open Day & Christmas Thali Lunch
- Sat 9th – Bristol Food Tour: Stokes Croft
- Sat 9th – Christmas preserves class at Little Kitchen
- Sat 9th – Christmas canapes class at Little Kitchen
- Sun 10th – A Tavola Winter Wine Bar at The Forge
- Sun 10th – Bristol Pudding Society: Xmas Special
- Sun 10th– 7th Birthday Roast at Bishopston Supper Club
- Sun 10th – Festive afternoon tea at Bristol Harbour Hotel
- Sun 10th – Festive vegetarian cookery, from field to fork
- Sun 10th – Grains, Gradients & Graffiti beer tour
- Wed 13th -Thu 14th – Christmas treats tasting at Averys Wine Merchants
- Thu 14th – Cheese & wine tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Thu 14th – Festive black tie dinner dance
- Thu 14th – Christmas treats tasting at Avery’s Wine Merchants
- Fri 15th – Festive cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 16th – Bristol Food Tour: Stokes Croft
- Sat 16th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 17th – Yoga Brunch at The Forge
- Sun 17th – Children’s holiday cookery club at Little Kitchen
- Tue 19th – Baking Club: Xmas special at Little Kitchen
- Thu 21st – Xmas porter and stout evening
- Thu 21st – A Very Mikkeller Christmas at Brewdog
- Fri 22nd – Festive cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 30th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 31st – Bottomless burgers & booze at Burger Theory
- Sun 31st – NYE Fiesta at Pata Negra
- Sun 31st – New Year’s party at Small Bar
- Sun 31st – New Year’s Eve Tropicana party at Bambalan
- Sun 31st – Harry Potter NYE Party at Steam
- Sun 31st – The Smuggler’s Ball at Milk Thistle