Ignore the wind and rain – June’s here, I promise!
Despite a bit of a dreary start to my favourite month (it’s my birthday month, and usually the beginning of BBQ season, woop), there are still plenty of food-tastic events to be excited about, whether you want to booze it up, learn a new skill or visit the latest restaurant.
Pack your cagoule and sun cream, it’s time to jump into June…
First up – here are some of the weightier events taking place this month. Longleat is hosting its first ever food festival on the weekend of 10-11th, including cookery demonstrations from James Martin and Nadiya from The Great British Bake Off. See the website for the latest info.
The mighty Food Connections is taking a year off from the usual festival frolics to come back bigger and better next year, although they are holding a conference for people from the Bristol food & drink community on 9th June, featuring talks from local producers, chefs and business owners.
Looking for something wholesome?
If you’re more a guzzler of the grape, head along to the Summer of Wine events at Avery’s on 17th June, where they’ll be showcasing over 100 wines and serving a few nibbles too.
Avery’s are also hosting a tasty-looking supper club from Coconut Chilli on the 27th, with 5 taster courses of curry dishes paired with wine for just £30. Nice.
On the subject of sophisticated dinners – the opulent Harbour Hotel in the centre are holding a Champagne Lombard dinner on 30th June, which will feature 5 courses, each paired with a different Champagne – how grand!
Finally, tickets have just gone on sale for the 5th installment of funtime rum tasting Rumageddon – I know it’s in July rather than June but these have sold out before so don’t say I didn’t warn you if you don’t snaffle your tickets in time!
Tastings & classes
Here’s your chance to learn something new and impress all your mates!
- Gin and cheese pairing at Cox & Baloney on Thu 8th, £22.
- The inaugural Bristol Gin Club: 5 gins + 5 small plates, Sat 10th, £35
- Mezcal tasting at Weber & Tring’s on Wed 14th, £25
- Fish masterclass at Square Food Foundation, Thu 15th, £49 (or a tart class on 17th)
- Foods of the Frome foraging walk on Sunday 18th, £35
- Cheese and cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop on Sat 24th, £25
- Irish whiskey club at Hyde & Co on Thu 29th, £21
- Taste the Heat spicy cookery class at Little Kitchen on Fri 30th, £50
Newbies and goodbyes
Here are the new faces to pop in and say hello to this month:
- Bomboloni – a new Italian joint bringing relaxed and hearty Italian fare to Gloucester Rd.
- Broken Dock – a restaurant & bar overlooking the harbour, housed in what was formerly Brigstow Bar + Kitchen.
- The Malago – no sooner had Zazu’s on North St closed its doors then this lush neighbourhood bistro popped up in its place.
- HUBBOX – burgers, dogs and beers coming to Whiteladies Road very soon.
- White’s Botanicals – Fresh & healthy plant-based dishes on St Nicholas St.
- Porchetta at The Three Tuns – praising the pig through all of June.
- Bristol Gin – the latest micro-distillery in town, head to The Rummer for a taste!
- Bottles & Books – beers, wines and books under one roof, coming soon…
- Asado Bristol – a fine-looking burger and grill house on Colston St.
- Murray May’s – already making waves with their top notch street food, keep an eye out for them at markets and events across town!
- Young & Foodish – cute and friendly coffee shop off Whiteladies Rd.
- Be Natural Kitchen– healthy & wholesome dishes served in St Nicholas Market.
We’ve also said a sad goodbye to lush cosy pub The Star & Dove in Totterdown (my favourite place for mulled beverages), and the various branches of local institution Zazu’s Kitchen – although the company will be living on to look after pubs The Greenbank, The Grace & The Knowle (all great).
That’s it for June, if you’re still in need of inspiration check out these round-ups:
- Bristol’s Best Burgers
- 16 Sensational Bristol Sun Traps
- Bristol’s Best Date Locations
- A food tour of Wapping Wharf
Check out the list below for an even bigger list of what’s on this list (including what’s mentioned above), or take a look at the swish new calendar!
Dates for the diary:
- Thu 8th – Gin and cheese pairing at Cox & Baloney
- Fri 9th – Bosh supper club at The Elephant House
- Fri 9th – Introduction to cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 9th – Beer and BEATs at Tobacco Factory
- Fri 9th – We are food! Bristol Food Connections conference
- Sat 10th – Wild herb walk in Brandon Hill
- Sat 10th – Summer brewhouse session
- Sat 10th – Vegan supper club at the Gloucestershire County Cricket Pavillion
- Sat 10th – Bristol Gin Club at Mockingbird Cafe
- Sat 10th – Eldon House street party
- Sat 10th – Sun 11th – Food Festival at Longleat
- Tue 13th – Hunt for the Wilderpeople screening and wine tasting at Avery’s
- Tue 13th – Wed 14th – Cocchi Negroni roadshow at Psychopomp
- Wed 14th – Vegetarian cookery class at Little Kitchen
- Wed 14th – Mezcal tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Thu 15th – Pump House gin night
- Thu 15th – Gin & tonic tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Thu 15th – Fish cookery class at Square Food Foundation
- Thu 15th – Hip Hop in a Chip Shop
- Thu 15th – Moor Beer meets Box-E
- Fri 16th – Moor Beer 10th birthday celebrations at The Exchange
- Fri 16 -Sat 17th – Murder mystery supper at Bristol Hippodrome
- Sat 17th – The Art of the Tart at Square Food Foundation
- Sat 17th – Introduction to cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 17th – Magical Macarons class at Little Kitchen
- Sat 17th – Summer of Wine event at Avery’s
- Sun 18th – Food of the Frome foraging walk
- Sun 18th – Bristol Pudding Society
- Sun 18th – 3 course father’s day lunch at Thornbury Castle
- Thu 22nd – Yoga brunch club
- Thu 22nd – Vegetarian cookery at Little Kitchen
- Fri 23rd – Wilderness: supper and talks at The Forge
- Fri 23rd – DIY tapas and dine at Little Kitchen
- Fri 23rd – Introduction to cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 24th – Cheese and cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 24th – Bristol Brewery Tour
- Sat 24th – Stockwood Community picnic
- Tue 27th – Coconut Chilli supper club at Avery’s
- Wed 28th – Australia & New Zealand wine tasting at Averys
- Thu 29th – Good Chemistry & Holy Roar collaboration beer launch at Crofters Rights
- Thu 29th – Nginious gin club at Milk Thistle
- Thu 29th – Irish whiskey club at Hyde & Co.
- Fri 30th – Beats street food party at Steam
- Fri 30th – An evening of English wine at The Forge
- Fri 30th – Taste the Heat cookery class at Little Kitchen
- Fri 30th – Brewdog Summer Sour Festival
- Fri 30th – Champagne Lombard dinner at Bristol Harbour Hotel