Calm yourselves, in the midst of this misty and chaotic start to the year, we also have lots of exciting events to look forward to.
It’s not quite time for Cargo 2 to open, or for the spring festivals, but there’s still plenty to get giddy about. Have your calendars at the ready – it’s time to make notes for February…
If you’re looking for something special to sate your appetite this month, here are a few suggestions:
- Three Course Toast is back at Pinkmans on Monday 6th, with treats including slow cooked beef on sourdough, and a rhubarb & custard brioche – phwoar. £25, including a welcome drink.
- Lee Skeet Seafood are doing a one-off supper club at Wilson’s on Chandos Road on 26th Feb, featuring several courses of amazing-sounding Cornish produce, for £40 per person.
- Matatu Kitchen are back on Friday 24th, serving a 4 course Swahili & Somali feast for £25.
They’re only around for a limited time, so catch ’em while they’re hot!
- Wings Diner will be serving Asian fried chicken at Bagel Boy on St Nicholas St on Sunday 5th (this looked so good last time, so don’t miss out!)
- Underdogs will be selling their yumtastic hot dogs at The Hare for one night only on Friday 3rd.
- Los Hermanos will be cooking up a culinary storm at The Love Inn from 7th-25th.
- Like your cod with a side of Dr Dre? Head along to Hip Hop in a Chip Shop on the 16th for one of the more bizarre parties in town.
If you’re in the wooing sort of mood, here are some of the more romantic things happening on 14th February:
- The Library are hosting a French-inspired night, with several courses of food matched with wine. £70 per couple.
- The Knowle is doing a 6 course feast (including my favourite: Beef Wellington) for £35
- Cornish Burger Co. are doing a special ‘Prosecco & Burgers’ menu from 13-19th, with 4 courses each plus a bottle of prosecco for £40 per couple.
- The Chocolate Bear Kitchen is doing a gluten and dairy free special menu at Strawberry Thief- 2 courses for £25, or 2 courses for £30.
Or you can take a look at my guide to Bristol’s Best Date Locations if you want to get creative!
Courses & workshops
Have a go at something new whydontcha?
- Fish filleting course at Source on Wed 8th (£55)
- Cider speed dating at The Bristol Cider Shop on Fri 17th (£20)
- Truffles & pralines workshop at Zara’s Chocolates, Sun 19th (£50)
- Bristol Whisky Club at Hyde & Co on Thursday 23rd (£20)
- Magical Macarons class at Little Kitchen on Thur 23rd (£40)
- Vegan cooking class at Spike Island on Fri 24th (£25)
- Not really a course, but join the Bristol Brewery Tour to learn a bit more about our local brewers and their fine wares (includes a boat segment of the tour, woo!)
Here are the new guys in town for you to pay a visit to!
- Top notch pizzeria Bosco have opened their 2nd branch in Clifton Village.
- Atomic Diner has now opened in Broadmead (mega burgers & milkshakes ahoy!)
- Head to Caribbean Croft on Stokes Croft for Caribbean munch & a choice of 38 rums.
- Fulfill all your cocktail & dinner needs at the fresh-faced Bristol Spirit on Whitehall Road.
- Japanese gyoza masters Eatchu now have a permanent indoor residence in St Nicholas Market.
- Newly refurbished The Crafty Cow is ready for your pub crawls and roast dinner needs on Gloucester Road.
And coming soon: semi-secret Irish bar Shebeen arrives on Whiteladies Road, Biblos FINALLY opens in Wapping Wharf, French wine bar & restaurant Le Poivrot brings a bit of extra class to Colston St, and at some point we’ll also be welcoming meaty chain The Smoke Haus to the centre. Phew!
Dates for the diary
- Fri 3rd – Underdogs pop-up at The Hare in Bedminster
- Sun 5th – Wings Diner pop-up at Bagel Boy
- Mon 6th – Three Course Toast at Pinkmans
- Tue 7th – Los Hermanos pop-up at The Love Inn
- Wed 8th – Fish filleting course at Source
- Wed 8th – Italy Highlights tasting at Avery’s Wine Cellars
- Sat 11th – Anti-Valentines Bingo Wings at Yurt Lush
- Sun 12th – Love Food Fest at Paintworks
- Tue 14th – The Chocolate Course at Little Kitchen
- Wed 15th – Home Brew Club at Brew
- Thu 16th – Hip Hop in a Chip Shop at Soul Fish
- Fri 17th – Cider speed dating at The Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 17th – Gin tasting at The Pump House
- Sun 19th – Truffles & pralines workshop at Zara’s Chocolates
- Wed 22nd – Butchery course at Source
- Wed 22nd – Cheese & wine with Arch House Deli at Avery’s
- Thu 23rd – Monthly tasting at Brew
- Thu 23rd – Elephant gin Gin Club at Milk Thistle
- Thu 23rd – Magical Macarons class at Little Kitchen
- Thu 23rd – Bristol Whiskey Club at Hyde & Co
- Thu 23rd – Ginstavaganza at The Lime Kiln
- Thu 23rd-Sun 26th – Magic Rock beer showcase at Brewdog
- Fri 24th – Good Chemistry tap takeover at The Greenbank
- Fri 24th – Matatu Kitchen, 4 course Somali/Swahili feast
- Fri 24th – Vegan cooking class at Spike Island Cafe
- Sat 25th – Latin House brunch at Este Kitchen
- Sat 25th – Bristol Brewery Tour
- Sun 26th – Lee Skeet supper club at Wilson’s