Here we are into the second month of 2022, after my annual January blog hiatus.
Clearly Bristol is ready to roll and eat/drink a lot because there is TONS of stuff on this month, with some fun new openings too. Read on!
Brilliant local community group and organiser of supper clubs 91 Ways have published a new book! Eat, Share, Love is a collection of recipes from Bristol’s 91 language communities, celebrating Bristol’s diverse home cooks who share their personal stories behind their favourite dishes. I’ve preordered my copy, get yours here.
You can now take your empty bottles of Psychopomp gin back to the distillery on St Michaels Hill to get a refill!
Some sad news this month, Bristol Spirit in Whitehall will close at end of Feb. However, the bar is open from 5-10pm Thurs-Sat for drinks and pizza from Dough Heads, so get in there while you can and load up on great food, booze and chat!
Oh and as an aside, I really enjoyed this article from Bristol 24/7 looking through a 1996 pub guide to Bristol – if you’re a longstanding resident see how many lost establishments you can remember! If like myself you’re a big fan of pubs, I also recommend reading Boak and Bailey’s Bristol Pub Guide, and listening to The Moon Under Water Podcast where people describe their dream pub (with lots of mentions of Bristol pubs!)
Not booked or bought anything yet? Here are some suggestions…
- The Kensington Arms are doing a special three-course menu for £35 per person, including mains of rib eye, lemon sole or herb gnocchi.
- The Malago in Southville are doing a seven-course Valentine’s menu with an optional wine flight. £65 for meaty menu, £55 for the veggie menu.
- Souk Kitchen‘s Valentine’s Day set menu is a mix of mezze, dips and bread followed by a trip of desserts for £75 between two.
- The Wellhead in Finzels Reach is doing a chocolate fondue and a cocktail for two for £20.
- Caper and Cure‘s menu is only £45 for seven courses (or £35 for the veggie version) and sounds amazing!
- Harbour House are doing a three-course menu showcasing the best of the South West, plus handmade chocolates, for £35 per person.
- Choose from a variety of sharing dishes at No.1 Harbourside, including Somerset Cider sharing mussels with hand-cut fries, or No.1 Sharing Burgers Plate, followed by a sharing dessert, all for £15pp (minimum two people).
- The Lido in Clifton is doing a Valentine’s menu with 3 courses for £45 each.
- The Ostrich in Redcliffe is doing a cocktail masterclass on Valentine’s Day, featuring canapes, Bellinis on arrival and a goodie bag for £35 per couple.
- https://www.oldmarketassembly.co.uk/The Old Market Assembly are offering a Valentine’s Sharing Menu: Two cocktails, a pizza, three sides of your choice and a sharing brownie with ice cream for two. £25pp (minimum two people). Available Fri 11th, Sat 12th & Mon 14th From 5pm.
- Ahh Toots are doing a range of romantic sweet treats including a Valentine’s Treat Box, Love Shakes and a special afternoon tea hamper.
- Chatterton’s Cafe in Redcliffe are also doing a selection of Valentine’s-themed cakes, blondies and brownies for delivery.
- KASK in Bedminster are popping open a selection of bottles and serving two heart-shaped cheeses perfect for Valentines – Neufchatell + Coeur de Berry – along with their usual menu.
- Klosterhaus are doing four courses for £75 per person including a glass of bubbles, with options including scallops, duck and even a 550g sharing chateaubriand.
- The Cloak & Dagger on Cheltenham Road are hosting a full-on Valentine’s experience including 7 dishes paired with 7 gins, live music and magic!
- Enjoy a tour of the 6 O’clock Gin distillery in Thornbury followed by a cocktail masterclass on Mon 14th, for £70 per couple.
- The Canteen are doing a Valentine’s Sharing Feast, including 5 small plates, 1 sharing dessert & 2 drinks for just £23 per person (2 people minimum), Available Friday 11th, Saturday 12th & Monday 14th from 4pm. Book your table via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Pump House in the harbour are doing a Valentine’s Day set menu for £45 per person, with an optional drinks flight for £27.50 per person.
- The Ivy Clifton Brasserie have got some limited edition Valentine’s cocktails and a new sharing dessert, featuring peach and raspberry parfait.
- Racks in Clifton are doing a Valentine’s weekend set menu from Sat 12th – Mon 14th. Get 2 courses for £27 or 3 courses for £32. Glasses of Prosecco are just £3 (or £18 for a bottle) on the Sunday and Monday too!
- From 12-14th February, diners at Second Floor Restaurant in Harvey Nichols can enjoy four courses and a glass of Harvey Nichols Champagne for £50 per person.
- Get 3 courses for £24 at Pizza on the Park on 14th Feb, or on Sunday 13th they’re doing a Galentine’s brunch with bottomless Prosecco for £28.
Pop-ups, supper clubs and other cool stuff
- Sun 6th – Dim Sum Sundays at Cave Bristol
- Sun 6th – Alkemio Kitchen Chilli Sauce Tasting Menu at Aesop’s, £10
- Tue 8th Feb – She Drinks Beer at The Good Measure
- Wed 9th – Curry Night at The Kensington Arms
- Wed 9th Feb – Wild Pizza pop-up at KASK
- Fri 11th – Steak and red wine dinner at Hotel du Vin, £60
- Wed 16th – Game Night at The Kensington Arms, £55
- Fri 18th – Hotdogs night at Little Martha
- Sat 19th – Bosh 10 year anniversary supper club
- Sun 20th – Dim Sum Sundays at Cave Bristol
- Sun 20th – Bottomless burger club at Burger Theory, £39.50
- Wed 23rd – Burger Night at The Kensington Arms
- Fri 25th – Vegan food and fine wine matching at Hotel du Vin, £60
Tastings and workshops
Learn something new this month!
- Sun 6th – Sourdough baking class at Coexist Community Kitchen, £80
- Tue 8th – Kimchi + Sauerkraut College, £70
- Wed 9th – Sri Lankan cookery class with Migrateful, £35
- Wed 9th – Explore Burgunday and Loire wine tasting, £30
- Thu 10th – Fish supper cookery class with Coexist Community Kitchen, £55
- Sat 12th – Cider vs Cheese: St Valentine’s edition at Cider Box, £19.99
- Sun 13th – Valentine’s chocolate making class at Zara’s Chocolates, £50
- Wed 16th – Sudanese cookery class with Mirateful, £35
- Wed 16th – Chew Valley gin tasting, £30
- Wed 16th – Avery’s virtual wine tasting, £60 (incl. 4 bottle of wine)
- Thu 17th – Fizz tasting at KASK, £35
- Thu 17th – Artisan cheese and wine tasting, £40
- Fri 18th – Antidoot tasting at Two Belly
- Fri 18th – Sausage making class at Ruby & White, £60
- Sat 19th – Champagne and sparkling wine masterclass, £40
- Tue 22nd – Austria v Germany wine tasting at Cave Bristol, £30
- Wed 23th – Distill your own gin at Psychopomp (£110 for one or £140 for two)
- Wed 23rd – Explore Spain and Portugal wine tasting, £30
- Wed 23rd – Trios Rivieres Rum Club at Nadu, £25
- Wed 23rd – Sri Lankan cookery class with Migrateful, £35
- Wed 23rd – Avery’s new arrivals cellar tasting, £30
- Thu 24th – Miso making workshop at Every Good Thing, £49
- Sun 27th – Truffles and pralines masterclass at Zara’s Chocolates, £50
You can find a bunch of other food and drink tours, classes and other fun stuff on Yuup, including chocolate making workshops, pub tours andeven a Belgian waffle masterclass.
Here are a bunch of recently opened places for you to visit…
- Little Martha Brewing in the arches near Temple Meads
- The Cow and Sow chophouse on Queen Square
- Guild of Dough bakery on Ashley Down Road
- Four Quarters arcade bar on Park Street
- The Juice Jar on Clifton Triangle
- Diggity Doughnuts on Bridewell St in the city centre
- The East St Deli in Bedminster
Plus some businesses coming soon include Namak opening mid Feb on Mina Rd in what was The Caudron, Hoba Kebab opening in what used to be Pizza Hut in the centre, Chronic Fried Chicken coming to Pennywell Road in Old Market/St Jude’s and a new branch of The Crafty Egg opening in Fishponds.
That’s it for this month, follow the latest food news by following A Life Less Organised on Facebook, let me know what you’re eating or booking over on Twitter, or see what I’m munching over on Instagram.
If you liked this, you might also like….