Whether this month has more storms or heatwaves in store (and I’m sure it has both), there are lots of tasty options to tidy yourself over throughout August, whether you fancy a cider tasting, a cake making class or a party at a gin distillery!
Cider Salon is back for all of you cider lovers from 10 – 15 August. The main event is sold out but there are still plenty of tastings, talks and and parties that you can head along too. See the full list here.
Averys have won South West Regional Wine Merchant of the year from the IWC – if you’ve not been to their amazing shop just off Park Street, rectify that immediately, it’s a proper Aladdin’s Cave of wine.
Yuup have added a bunch of new food and drink experiences to their calendar for summer, from foraging walks to wine & cheese pairing or even a pizza, beer and trampolining day out! Plus food tours in Bath or with a Michelin-starred chef in Bristol. They’re a great option for trying some new places or organising a day out with friends.
Windmill Hill City Farm in Bedminster are now doing weekly veg boxes, with the option to buy a solidarity box for someone in need.
To celebrate Gastronomy Month in September, Gambas and Bar 44 have teamed up to do a Tapas Tour of Bristol on 4th September, including a ferry tour. Tickets are currently sold out but you can join the waiting list here.
If you’re looking for al fresco drinks & music, a bunch of outdoors bars and huge outdoor venues have opened recently, including Propyard in St Phillips, Lost Horizon HQ in St Jude’s, Bloom Bar in Cabot Circus, Outer Space on the harbourside, and BUMP rollerdisco in Redcliffe.
Dinners & special events
Give yourself something to look forward to this month, whether it’s a slap-up dinner from the list below, a foodie festival or the bottomless fried chicken brunch at Backyard on the Triangle, which is available every Friday and Saturday for £19.95 per person. More info here.
- Wed 4th – Picnic Pilgrims Evening Walk & Dinner, £45pp
- Sun 8th – The Summer of Rum at Milk Thistle, £15pp
- Fri 13th – Fireside Feast: Back to Our Roots at Windmill Hill City Farm, £55pp
- Sat 14th – Summer Staycation Party at Bristol Distlling Co.
- Sat 14th & Sat 28th – Burger brunch with bottomless Prosecco, beer or cider
- Fri 20th – Mexican Supper Club with Bosh, £25
- Sat 21st & Sun 22nd – Beats and Eats Bristol, £3
- Wed 25th – Every Good Thing x BOX-E fermented feast, £50
- Wed 25th – Fish & Chips trip on The Matthew, £28pp
- Wed 25th – Fireside Feast: Exploring Coastlines at Windmill Hill City Farm, £55
- Sat 28th – Eat: Chipping Sodbury
Tours, workshops & tastings
Learn something while you scoff yourself silly!
- Fri 6th – Beer & Cheese Tasting at Two Belly, £45 for two
- Sat 7th – The Bristol Cider Tour, £24
- Sat 7th – Sherry Uncovered at The Kensington Arms, £35
- Sat 7th & Sun 15th – Intro to Foraging at Combe Hay Vineyard, £30
- Tue 10th – Ladies first cider tasting, free but booking essential
- Tue 10th & Thu 26th – Kids Make Ice Cream cookery class, £35
- Wed 11th – Cider & Cheese with Little Pomona, £18
- Thu 12th – Mexican Street Food at Little Kitchen, £50
- Thu 12th – North vs South cider tasting at Cider Box, £24
- Fri 13th – Chocoholics Chaos cookery class, £35
- Sat 14th & Tue 24th – Explore the Old City and Bristols Best Pubs with Bristol Hoppers, £25pp
- Sat 14th – Cider Saloon at Cider Box, £6
- Sun 15th & Sun 22nd – Cocktails & Cakes at The Dirty Bird with ANNA Cake Couture, £12.90pp
- Wed 18th – Avery’s August Zoom wine tasting, £60 inc. four bottles of wine
- Thu 19th – The Tapas Social at Little Kitchen, £55
- Sun 22nd – Mastering Pasta at Little Kitchen, £45
- Sun 22nd – Introduction to Wine one-day course, £85
- Tue 24th – Learn how to make a sweet shop cake, £45
- Wed 25th – Gin Lover’s Masterclass at Psychopomp, £25
- Wed 25th – Sri Lankan cookery class at Coexist Community Kitchen, £3
- Thu 26th – Gin Masterclass at The Kensington Arms, £35
- Fri 27th – Beer & Cheese Tasting at Two Belly, £45 for two
- Sat 28th – The Great British Cake Off at Little Kitchen, £65
New places to visit
There are a fair few newbies to visit this month, one of the most exciting being the new Grano Kitchen x Pizzarova residency at Bristol Old Vic, featuring a range of favourites from each, including sourdough pizza, cod linguine, gnocchi, bruschetta and a very moreish tiramisu.
Already open around town include Jozi in Clifton, a cafe with some South African flourishes, funky pub Barrel House in Clifton (I’m keen to visit for their lush garden and Detroit style pizza), new darts venue Flight Club in the city centre (who intriguingly do brunch socials) and Yummy Yummy Bakery in Knowle West.
Coming soon are Ramen Monster on St Stephens St in the Old City, Small Goods coffee and doughnuts in Temple Quay from the Small St Espresso team, and a new restaurant for Little Hollows on Chandos Road in Redland.
That’s it for this month, remember to follow A Life Less Organised on Facebook if you want to see more updates throughout the month, or you can see what I’m eating over on Instagram. Otherwise, just come and say hello on Twitter and tell me if you’re planning on doing any of the things in the guide, I love hearing about what people get up to!
If you like this, you’ll also like…