There’s lots to get through this month, and to think we’re not even in the summer months yet! There are still all the festivals to look forward to (Vegfest in May, and Food Connections & Grillstock in June to name just three), but let’s focus on April for now.
Without further ado, here’s what you could (and should) be eating this month…
(if you haven’t got time to read this monster guide, check out the Events Calendar instead)
Having trouble deciding what to eat? Here are some of the more weird and wonderful events taking place this month…
- Holler for a selection of endless pizza in Giro night at Bertha’s on 10th April, £21.55.
- Speaking of pizza, the Pizzarova crate reopens in Wapping Wharf on Wed 11th, and they’re giving out free pizza from 12-9pm!
- Choose from a selection of over 100 ales, keg beers and ciders at the St George’s Road Spring Festival from 13-15th April.
- Beer, cake and sandwiches? Sold! Head along to Crafternoon Tea at Bristol Beer Factory on Sat 14th; tickets are £23 including a flight of beers and a selection of sweet & savoury treats. (Also, check out my sophisticated cameo in the promo vid)
- Join a Murder Mystery dinner at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery on Fri 20th, with a 3 course meal and a DJ to follow once you’ve solved the murder! £50.
- Know your Dre from your Drake? Head along to Bingo Wings Hip-Hop Edition for a top mix of bingo, music and chicken wings. Tickets £12.
- Fancy some nibbles in the nude? Book onto the 3 course naked lunch from The Plumed Serpent at The Volunteer Tavern on Tue 24th, £20.50.
- Party on down at the Good Chemistry brewery on 27th & 28th for their taproom opening.
Head to a p*ss up in a brewery at GCHQ on 27th & 28th April
Want a night to remember? Nab a spot at one of these special dinners…
- 15th – Gambas pop-up at Bravas for Action Against Hunger. Seafood & sherry lunch, minimum donation of £50, Book: 0117 329 6887
- Romy Gill joins the team at The Kensington Arms on Wed 18th to prepare a 5 course Indian feast. £35.
- Box-E and Bristol Cider Shop 5 course cider & perry pairing evening on Thu 19th, £50.
- St George’s Day dinner at The Bank Tavern on 23rd & 30th; 6 courses of British greats, including brown crab, lamb & mint, and sea trout. £45.
- Hennessy Cognac Dinner at Milk Thistle on Tue 24th, £65 for 4 courses and paired Cognac.
- 6 course Mexican cantina feast at Spike Island on Thu 26th, including Sopa Azteca and chalupas, £30.
- 3 course pop-up dinner at Aron’s Deli on Fri 27th, including goose rilette, deli sandwiches and rugelach. £25.
Learn something new this month to impress your mates…
- 7th – Distillers Table: Chocolate at Psychopomp microdistillery, £30.
- 12th – Fiona Beckett: How to match food & wine masterclass at The Kensington Arms, £48 for 3 courses paired with 10 wines.
- 13th – Whisky Bristol: Mackmyra single malt whisky, £25.
- 14th – Easton Food Tour, or Stokes Croft Food Tour £40.
- 19-21st – Source Oyster Fest
- 25th – Sparkling spectacular at Avery’s, a head-to-head fizz tasting to celebrate 225 years of the historic Bristol wine merchants, £45.
- 28th – Indian street food masterclass with Brinda Bungaroo, £18.
- 28th – Vegan baking masterclass at Bakesmiths, £40.
Eat your way around Easton on the 14th (Credit: Dela)
Tsukemono are at Bristol Spirit in Whitehall from 4th – 28th of April, serving an Izakaya-style menu of small plates along with okonomiyaki, fried chicken, pickles and a selection of vegan ice-cream.
Astro Pub are a new vegan pop-up at The Hare on the Hill, Kansai Kitchen are still serving top notch Japanese dishes at The Hillgrove, Hoba Kebab are at The Robin Hood on St Michael’s Hill this month, and you’ve only got a few weeks left to try the amazing tacos from The Plumed Serpent at The Volunteer Tavern.
Beer + kebab = match made in heaven. (Source: The Robin Hood)
Opening this month are The Lost & Found, a new cocktail bar & restaurant in Clifton, and Faraway Cocktail Club on Small St, which will open its doors on 13th April. Tincan Coffee Co. are opening their new branch on Gloucester Road at the end of the month.
In case you’re in the mood for more tips, how about…
- Bristol’s Best Date Locations
- Bristol’s Best Pizza Joints
- Bristol’s Best Pub Gardens
- Bristol’s Best Burgers
Dates for the diary
(Or check the Events Calendar)
- Thu 5th – Tiny Cookery School
- Thu 5th – Introduction to Wine evening
- Thu 5th – Cheese & wine pairing at The Rummer
- Fri 6th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 6th – Bosh Mexican supper club
- Sat 7th – A Spring Happening at Lost & Grounded
- Sat 7th – Clandesdiner supper club
- Sat 7th – Local gin tasting at The Rummer
- Sat 7th – Prosecco tasting at The Rummer
- Sat 7th – Distillers Table: Chocolate at Psychopomp
- Tue 10th – Giro night at Bertha’s Pizza
- Wed 11th – Pizzarova crate reopens in Wapping Wharf, free pizza from 12-9pm!
- Wed 11th – Chocolate bar moulding at Zara’s Chocolate
- Wed 11th – Spring supper club at West Street Kitchen
- Thu 12th – Fiona Beckett: How to Match Food & Wine at The Kensington Arms
- Thu 12th – Vegan cookery at Square Food Foundation
- Thu 12th – White Wines of the World tasting
- Fri 13th – Whisky Bristol: Mackmyra Swedish single malt
- Fri 13th – Local gin tasting at The Rummer
- Fri 13th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Sat 14th – Bottomless brunch at Pieminster
- Sat 14th – Gyoza masterclass at Eatchu
- Sat 14th – Bristol GF Food Fair
- Sat 14th – Crafternoon Tea at Bristol Beer Factory
- Sat 14th – Steak Day at West Street Kitchen
- Sat 14th – Stokes Croft Food Tour
- Sat 14th – One Day Intro to Wine
- Sat 14th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 14th – The Great Bristol Food Tour with Cycle the City
- Sat 14th – Masterclass session at Averys Wine Merchants
- Sun 15th – Sunday Roast at Bishopston Supper Club
- Sun 15th – Bristol Hoppers beer tour
- Sun 15th – Gambas pop-up at Bravas for Action Against Hunger
- Tue 17th – Guest chef series at Pony & Trap
- Wed 18th – Tasting evening with Romy Gill at The Kensington Arms
- Wed 18th – Design your own beer at Bristol Beer Factory
- Wed 18th – Bristol Syrian Supperclub
- Thu 19th – Red Wines of the World tasting
- Thu 19th – Box-E and Bristol Cider Shop 5 course cider & perry pairing evening
- Thu 19th – Gin Masterclass at The Rummer
- Thu 19- Sat 21st – Source Oyster Fest
- Thu 19th – Dinner with friends: Spring at Square Food Foundation
- Thu 19th – Supper Club Cruises with 6 O’Clock Gin
- Fri 20th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 20th – Eats, Roots and Leaves Italian supper club
- Fri 20th – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Fri 20th – Murder Mystery dinner at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery
- Fri 20th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 21st – Cheese & wine tasting at Avery’s
- Sat 21st – The Great Bristol Food Tour with Cycle the City
- Sat 21st – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 21st – Microbrewery tour & beer tasting at Croft Ales
- Sun 22nd – Sunday Market Food Tour
- Sun 22nd – Plant-focused Sunday Brunch at Flow
- Mon 23rd – St George’s Day dinner at The Bank Tavern
- Mon 23rd – In Our Hands: A Food Sovereignty Banquet
- Tue 24th – 3 course naked lunch at The Plumed Serpent
- Tue 24th – Hennessy Cognac Dinner at Milk Thistle
- Wed 25th – Vegan Tasting Menu at Yurt Lush
- Wed 25th – Sparkling spectacular at Avery’s
- Thu 26th – Ardbeg Spirit Society at Hyde & Co, £20
- Thu 26th – Foxhole gin club at Milk Thistle
- Thu 26th – Curry Legend Workshop at The Spicery
- Thu 26th – Cotswold Cider tasting and food matching at Brewhouse Bar + Kitchen
- Thu 26th – Food & wine matching masterclass
- Thu 26th – 6 course Mexican cantina feast at Spike Island
- Thu 26th – In-Cider Knowledge at The Stable
- Fri 27th – Aron’s Deli pop-up dinner
- Fri 27th – Whisky Bristol: Sakura Season
- Fri 27th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 27th- Sat 28th – Good Chemistry brewery taproom opening
- Fri 27th – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Fri 27th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sat 28th – Bottomless brunch at Pieminister
- Sat 28th – Bristol Whisky Festival
- Sat 28th – Sherry Uncovered at The Rummer
- Sat 28th – The Great Bristol Food Tour with Cycle the City
- Sat 28th – Indian street food masterclass at Sholay
- Sat 28th – Microbrewery tour & beer tasting at Croft Ales
- Sat 28th – Vegan baking workshop at Bakesmiths
- Sat 28th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin
- Sun 29th – Bristol Hoppers beer tour
- Sun 29th – 1 Day Bread Making Course at Mark’s Bread
- Mon 30th – St George’s Day dinner at The Bank Tavern