Is it still winter? Or spring? Who knows, whatever season it is, there are plenty of tasty events to look forward to over the coming weeks.
I’ve split them into the bigger foodie events & festivals, dinners, courses, pop-ups and new launches, but feel free to just skip to the Events Calendar if you want a general overview.
Here’s what to look forward to in March…
It’s a good mix this month, some of big events going on include:
- Treat your mum with a ticket to the Absolutely Fabulous Brunch Party on Sunday 11th, with a range of different fizz on offer, a DJ playing ’90s hits and a photo wall – fancy dress is encouraged!
- Want to try something a bit different? What about cooking teeny burgers on a miniature stove? Foozie are running their Tiny Cookery School on 15th, 22nd & 29th of this month, and it looks like ridiculous fun.
- Spend your St Patricks Day at a Chilli Cook-off Extravaganza! There will also be a homemade hot sauce competition, chilli pepper eating, fancy dress and music. Come in your best Irish or Mexican attire!
- Celebrate all that’s great about lentils & pulses at the first ever British Dal Festival, which is being held in Bristol from 19-25th March. Sample dishes along the Dal Trail, try your hand at dal recipes from leading chefs and attend The Grand Dal Finale on Sunday 25th.
And finally, in case you missed it, the Bristol Good Food Awards winners were announced last week – the full list can be found here. Congrats to all the brilliant businesses who won!
Treat yourself (and your mum!) to a special supper this month…
- Root kitchen takeover: Salon Brixton on Thu 8th. A six course tasting menu with lots of surprises thrown in. £50pp.
- A Tavola are hosting a three-course meal on Mother’s Day, featuring some natural wines and some top notch Italian dishes, including rabbit ragu with wild garlic (!) and a blood orange, almond & chocolate torta. £23.45 per person.
- Enjoy four courses each paired with a gin at the Psychopomp Gin Pairing Dinner at audiophile bar/restaurant EDIT on Thusday 15th. Tickets are £45 each.
- The influential team from Morito are cooking up a fundraiser meal at Hamilton House on Friday 16th. Tickets cost £60 for a three-course Mediterranean-inspired meal and include a welcome drink on arrival.
- Get a taste of pickled, foraged and fermented food at the Wylie Sisters pop-up at Zitto & Bevi on Sunday 18th. The menu will focus on local female producers and natural wines and cost £30 per person.
- Bristol’s Michelin star chefs Peter Sanchez-Iglesias and Josh Eggleton will be serving up signature dishes from their respective restaurants and co-creating an 8-course menu in The Pony & Trap x Casamia on 18th March. Tickets are £120, profits go to their fundraising effort for Action Against Hunger.
- Praise the pig at The Pony & Trap’s Nose-to-Tail Pork Tasting Menu on 22nd, including six courses and an optional wine flight for £60 pp (wine flight additional £30).
Learn something new this month – it could be handy for a future pub quiz!
- Curry Legend Workshop at The Spicery on 8th & 15th, £45.
- Cheese & Cider tasting at Bristol Cider Shop with The Bristol Cheesemonger on Fri 16th, £25.
- Vinyl & Vine tasting at Milk Thistle, with tunes matched to the wine variety, winemaker or region, £30.
- Whisky Bristol: An Evening with Wild Turkey on 22nd March, £25.79
- Join a Craft Beer Tour of Gloucester Road on Fri 23rd, £24.
- Eatchu vegan gyoza masterclass on Sat 24th, £65.
- Italy Showcase at Avery’s Wine Merchants on Wed 28th, £30.
- Talisker Whisky tasting at Hyde & Co. on Thu 29th, £20.
- UK vs USA Gin Club at Milk Thistle on Thu 29th, £20.
Combine a trip to the pub with some tasty grub (hey, accidental rhyme!)
- Kansai Kitchen are still in situ at The Hillgrove in Kingsdown and will be serving the traditional Japanese dish Shabu-shabu on 5th, 12th and 19th March.
- Creative Sliders are bringing their funky little burger concoctions to Bristol Spirit from 1-31st March.
- Los Hermanos will be serving up South American goodies at The Robin Hood throughout March.
- Get your carb fix from Pie Baby at The Golden Lion – all dishes are vegan and range from tasty pies to a hash brown special…
- Wing’s Diner is now in permanent residence at Small Bar, and they’re reputed to be doing the best fried chicken in town (for what it’s worth, I agree).
- Get some tasty tacos from The Plumed Serpent at Volunteer Tavern – they’re doing exciting specials throughout the week which are well worth your time.
- El Chupacabra are creating fresh tacos and Mexican dishes at The Hare on the Hill behind Stokes Croft.
Pay a visit to these fresh faces in town (a few of them have been open for a few months but I haven’t had a chance to mention them yet!)
- Poké – Bristol’s first poké bar, serving fresh bowls of Japanese goodness, including salad, fish, rice and sauces.
- I Love Hoagies – biiiiig deli sarnies in the Pithay near Broadmead.
- Beets ‘n’ Roots – a cafe on Cotham Hill with a focus on organic and healthy dishes.
- Convivio – a relaxed bar-restaurant in Cotham, serving everything from breakfasts to roasts.
- Roots Lounge – a vegetarian café-bar on St Nicholas St in the city centre.
- The Florist – a large cocktail bar & restaurant on Park St in the former Goldbrick House building.
- Sip – a new cafe with some delicious-looking sarnies on Park St.
- Pasture – a new steak restaurant in Redcliffe already making a great impression.
And coming soon…Revolucion de Cuba in the former Bordeaux Quay unit, as well as new restaurants for Pizzarova & Happy Bird later this year.
Sadly we’ve also said goodbye to a few much-loved businesses recently, including Bearpit Social, Bearritos, Katie & Kim’s, Salt Cafe and The Eating Room. Wallfish Bistro and Birch will also be closing later this year, so pay them a visit while you can!
That’s it for this month, you can see a full list of events below, or if you’d like a bit more Bristol inspiration, how about…
- Oldies but goodies: 11 Bristol institutions
- Where to treat yourself in Bristol
- Bristol’s Classiest Cocktail Bars
Oh and feel free to say hello on Twitter or Instagram – or you can also follow A Life Less Organised on Facebook. Ta!
Dates for the Diary
(or check the Events Calendar)
- Thu 8th – Mexican Supper Club at Spike Island Cafe
- Thu 8th – Explore Spain & Portugal wine tasting
- Thu 8th – International Women’s Day breakfast at Bambalan
- Thu 8th– Root kitchen takeover: Salon Brixton
- Thu 8th – Curry Legend Workshop at The Spicery
- Thu 8th – The Gryphon’s MetAle Festival
- Thu 8th – Pudding & Cocktails Club at Cox & Baloney
- Fri 9th – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Fri 9th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 9th – Local Gin Tasting at The Rummer
- Sat 10th – Champagne tasting at The Rummer
- Sat 10th – Malaysian Supper Club at Primrose Cafe
- Sat 10th – Bottomless prosecco & mimosa brunch at Steam
- Sat 10th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 11th – Absolutely Fabulous Brunch Party
- Sun 11th – A Tavola three-course Italian lunch at The Forge
- Sun 11th – Spanish Sunday bottomless Cava & tapas at Pata Negra
- Sun 11th – Bottomless booze & roast at Steam
- Sun 11th – Bishopston Tea Party
- Mon 12th – Shabu-shabu Japanese menu at The Hillgrove
- Tue 13th – Tempering chocolate masterclass at Zara’s Chocolate
- Wed 14th – Five course spring supper club with beer pairings at West Street Kitchen
- Wed 14th – Bodega Castano wine dinner at Avery’s
- Thu 15th – Psychopomp gin pairing dinner at EDIT
- Thu 15th – Tiny Cookery School
- Thu 15th – Pudding & Cocktails Club at Cox & Baloney
- Thu 15th – Curry Legend Workshop at The Spicery
- Thu 15th – Wild Cocktails & Cake at Deli @ Sandy Park
- Thu 15th – Explore USA & South Africa wine tasting
- Fri 16th – Morito fundraiser dinner at Hamilton House
- Fri 16th – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Fri 16th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin Distillery
- Sat 17th – Port, cheese & chocolate tasting at The Rummer
- Sat 17th – The Bristol Food Tour: Stokes Croft
- Sat 17th – Pie & Ale Festival at The Royal Oak
- Sat 17th – The Woozy Pig at Moor Beer Co.
- Sat 17th – Bottomless prosecco & mimosa brunch at Steam
- Sat 17th – Gyoza masterclass at Eatchu
- Sat 17th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 17th – St Patricks Day Chili Cook-off Extravaganza!
- Sun 18th – Bottomless booze & roast at Steam
- Sun 18th – The Wylie Sisters pop-up dinner at Zitto & Bevi
- Sun 18th – The Pony & Trap x Casamia at Yurt Lush
- Mon 19-25th – The British Dal Festival
- Mon 19th – Shabu-shabu Japanese menu at The Hillgrove
- Tue 20th – Designing Great Beers course at Bristol Brewery School
- Wed 21st – Vinyl and Vine tasting at Milk Thistle
- Thu 22nd – Tiny Cookery School
- Thu 22nd – Pudding & Cocktails Club at Cox & Baloney
- Thu 22nd – Champagne and Fish & Chips Night
- Thu 22nd – Pasta cookery class at Square Food Foundation
- Thu 22nd – Pork nose-to-tail tasting menu at Pony & Trap
- Thu 22nd – Bristol Beer Factory vs London Beer Factory Tap Takeover
- Thu 22nd – Whisky Bristol: An Evening with Wild Turkey
- Thu 22nd- Sat 24th – CAMRA Bristol Beer Festival
- Fri 23rd – Pop-up dinner at Aron’s Deli
- Fri 23rd – Talk, demo & supper by Ferment & Feast
- Fri 23rd – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 23rd – Gloucester Road Pub Tour
- Fri 23rd – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin Distillery
- Fri 23rd – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Sat 24th – Bottomless prosecco & mimosa brunch at Steam
- Sat 24th – Easter wine tasting at Avery’s Wine Merchants
- Sat 24th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin distillery
- Sat 24th – Vegan gyoza masterclass at Eatchu
- Sat 24th – Bristol Food Tour: Vegan Stokes Croft tour
- Sat 24th – Bristol Food Tour: Vegan South of the river tour
- Sat 24th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 24th – Bristol Brewery Tour
- Sat 24th – Dumpling Making Workshop
- Sat 24th – Microbrewery tour & Croft Ales tasting
- Sun 25th – Bishopston Supper Club Sunday Roast
- Sun 25th – Yoga Brunch Club with Murray Mays at The Forge
- Sun 25th – Bottomless booze & roast at Steam
- Wed 28th – Italy wine showcase at Avery’s Wine Merchants
- Thu 29th – New Bristol Brewery tasting evening
- Thu 29th – UK vs USA Gin Club at Milk Thistle
- Thu 29th – Talisker Whisky Society at Hyde & Co
- Thu 29th – Pudding & Cocktails Club at Cox & Baloney
- Thu 29th-Mon 2nd April – Volly Beer Festival
- Fri 30th – Bottomless pizza & prosecco at Dough Ballers
- Fri 30th – Bristol Hoppers Good Friday afternoon beer tour
- Fri 30th – Introduction to Cider at Bristol Cider Shop
- Fri 30th – Local gin tasting at Bristol Dry Gin distillery
- Sat 31st – Bristol Food Tour: Stokes Croft tour
- Sat 31st – Fierce & Noble tap takeover at EDIT
- Sat 31st – Introduction to Wine lunch
- Sat 31st – Gin Masterclass at The Kensington Arms
- Sat 31st – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 31st – Cheese & wine pairing The Kensington Arms