Well here we are in June (well, almost if you’re a keener reading this on the day I first post it – I’m off on my holidays so it’s a bit early this month!)
It’s officially half way through the year and we’re now well in to festival season; so before you become too sunburnt and dehydrated from existing solely on a diet of scrumpy and Mini Cheddars from the pub, here’s what you should be doing with the next few weeks…
Just as one beer festival ends, so another begins – pop along to the Hope & Anchor between 2nd-6th June for their Summer Beer Fest for live music, BBQ and over 30 craft beers – it’s one of my favourite gardens in Bristol, so make sure you pay them a visit.
Fancy something a little bit stronger than beer? How about the Woods Navy Rum event at Milk Thistle on 1st June? Or if whisky is more your tipple, their sister bar Hyde & Co is doing a whisky tasting event on Thursday 2nd – both are priced at £15 and will feature a good amount of the hard stuff!
My favourite news this month is that one of my favourite supper clubs is returning! The lovely ladies from Bosh will be bringing their tasty wares to The Elephant House on Friday 3rd June – the menu looks lush and they’ve even included their famous marinated aubergine dish as a starter, woof!
Feeling even more adventurous than marinated vegetables? How about a 6 course exotic meat meal at The Rummer on 11th June – the 6 courses will include meats such as ostrich, bison and even locust (!), all for 50 of your British Sterling.
For a more relaxing weekend treat, pop along to the next Yoga Brunch on 12th June at The Forge.
Sunday 12th June also sees the return of Make Sundays Special, where the streets around the centre of town will be closed to traffic to allow food stalls, music and frolics to take over the streets. The next events will be in local areas such as Easton, Redland, Avonmouth and Fishponds.
Finally, if you’re after a real treat this month, Saturday 18th June will see the first afternoon tea at the Historical Dining Rooms. Afternoon tea will run every Saturday between 12-3 pm, priced at £15.95 per person or £19.95 if you’d also like a glass of English fizz!
Want to become a bit more learned whilst filling up on tasty munch? Here are a few ideas:
- English wine tasting at The Library 6th – £20 for 5 wines and a Ploughman’s
- Rum: molasses vs sugarcane tasting at Weber & Tring’s on 8th June
- Steak night at Source 10th June – 5 courses & steak tuition from the best butcher in Bristol. £75 per head
- Vegetarian cookery class at Little Kitchen 15th – learn to make 3 dishes, £37
- Avery’s Summer of Wine tastings, part 1+2 – an intro to wine, priced at £25 each
Oooh there are some real goodies appearing around town this month – so try and get to a few of them; I know I will!
- Middle Eastern dishes from Ezme at The Hillgrove until 11th June
- Filipino cuisine from Ana’s Kusina at Hillgrove 13th-18th June
- The Chocolate Bear Kitchen will be based at Clifton Wine Bar on 16th & 30th June
- Kasai Kitchen will be bringing their Japanese fare to Hare on the Hill from June 8th
- Vegetastic Edna’s Kitchen will be based at The Old Bookshop throughout June
June is another bumper month for new places to try – so add these goodies to your list to visit this summer!
- New bar To The Moon on Midland Road in Old Market
- We now have a boardgame cafe in the form of Chance & Counters
- Nab some pizza & beer from The White Rabbit in Clifton
- Check out the lush charcoal cooking of The Cauldron restaurant
- English bistro Wilsons arrives on Chandos Rd in Redland in mid June
- Gin maestros Psychopomp now have a bar & distillery on St Michaels Hill
- Bluebird Tea Co are bringing their extensvie range of teas to Park St very soon!
That’s all from me for this month, but if you want a few more ideas for where to munch this month, why not check out…
- Bristol’s Best Pub Gardens
- Where to get your lunch in Bristol
- 7 places to broaden your eating horizons in Bristol
- Where to get your sugar fix in Bristol
- Bristol’s Best Burgers
Dates for the diary
- Wed 1st – Woods Old Navy Rum tasting at Milk Thistle
- Wed 1st – Homebrew Club at Brew
- Thu 2nd-Mon 6th – Summer beer fest at The Hope & Anchor
- Thu 2nd – Whisky tasting at Hyde & Co
- Fri 3rd – Small plates & wine at Little Kitchen
- Sat 4th – Avery’s Summer of Wine tasting, Session 1
- Sat 4th – Bristol Eats market at the Moor Beer Tap
- Mon 6th – English wine tasting at The Library
- Wed 8th – Kansai Kitchen start their kitchen takeover at The Hare on the Hill
- Wed 8th – Rum: molasses vs sugarcane tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Fri 10th – Steak night (5 courses & tuition) at Source
- Sat 11th – Exotic meat evening at The Rummer
- Sat 11th – Gin tasting at Psychopomp’s distillery
- Sun 12th – Yoga Brunch at The Forge
- Mon 13th-Sat 18th – Ana’s Kusina pop-up at The Hillgrove
- Wed 15th – Homebrew Club at Brew
- Wed 15th – Vegetarian cookery class at Little Kitchen
- Thu 16th – Launch of Easton Real Food Club
- Thu 16th – Beer tasting at Brew
- Fri 17th – Gin through the ages at Milk Thistle
- Sat 18th – Father’s Day breakfast at Little Kitchen
- Sat 18th – Owen Square Community Picnic in Easton
- Sat 18th –Dine with i supper club, 5 courses for £30
- Sun 19th – Father’s Day lunch at River Cottage Canteen
- Thu 23rd – Introduction to Wine from Clifton Wine School
- Fri 24th – Bristol Eats & Wriggle night market on King St
- Sat 25th – UK Garage brunch rave at Club Haus
- Sat 25th – Champagne & sparkling wine tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Sat 25th – Gin & tonic tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Wed 29th – Homebrew Club at Brew
- Wed 29th – Rhone & South of France tasting at Avery’s Wine Cellars
- Wed 29th – Artisan cheese & wine tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Thu 30th – Whisky dinner at Milk Thistle