This post is a little later than usual, mainly due to the amazing Food Connections stealing all of my spare time!
Other than that, here’s what else you can lick your chops in anticipation of this month…
Suitably recovered from the long weekend? Get yourself along to Bristol Bierfest from 5th-8th May in Millenium Square. Expect loud music, lederhosen and huuuge glasses of beer.
Have a cultural evening at The Library on Monday 9th at their New world vs Old world wine tasting – you’ll get to try 4 wines alongside an aperitivo board of nibbles for £25.
There are some good dining events this month too – Thursday 19th is Spelt Night at River Cottage Canteen, and on Wednesday 11th Nettle & Rye in Clifton are doing a 7 course vegetarian tasting menu, yum!
Oh and the more creative among you should pop over to Weber & Tring’s on Wednesday 11th for their Make your Own Gin event – you’ll get to taste some samples, make your own blends and then take your very own bottle of gin to take home with you!
If you’re in more of a party mood, you can head along to hip hop brunch at Club Haus on Welsh Back, or if you fancy a chance to explore the city, check out the Bristol Brewery Tour – both events are on Saturday 21st.
We’ve got a new pop-up in town this month – Chocolate Bear Kitchen comes to Clifton Wine Bar on 19th May, offering a selection of gluten free, vegan and exotic treats (I’ve got my eye on the jerk chicken, and that lime cheesecake).
They’re also doing events at The Hungry Caterpillar Cafe on 13th & 27th May, but those have already sold out – so be quick if you want a place at their Clifton event!
I’m also very excited that Chicken Shack are now based permanently at The Love Inn on Stokes Croft – they do top notch burgers and have now also started doing brunch, which I’m itching to try, so let me know if you sample their breakfast wares!
Finally, the talented bunch from The Plumed Serpent will be taking over the kitchen at Mathilda’s Chilli from 18th May -18th July, serving Mexican food such as tacos and tortas.
Newbies to try
Bristol has gone crazy with new businesses in the past few weeks, and that shows no signs of stopping any time soon!
There are that many to get through that I’m just going to have to round them up briefly and you can add them to your ever-expanding list of places to visit:
- Bambalan – Large canteen & terrace from the team behind The Ox & Pata Negra
- Pho – Vietnamese soupy noodles on Clare St
- Bakesmiths – Big new bakery & cafe on Whiteladies Rd
- Door & Rivet – Pretty cafe & shop on Stokes Croft
- Pizzarova – a new crate for the popular pizza guys in Wapping Wharf
- Yatta Sushi – Large sushi restaurant on Nelson Street with an all-you-can-eat menu
- Emmeline – cute little takeaway cafe on Cheltenham Rd
- Flour & Ash – 2nd branch of this great pizza restaurant in Westbury-on-Trym
- Este – Relaxing latin-inspired restaurant in Easton
- Crafty Egg – new cafe in what was Hooper House on Stokes Croft
- Pickle Underfall Yard – Great sarnies & coffee in the middle of the historic boatyard
- Craftisan – cute cafe and craft shop on Wells Rd in Totterdown
- El Corazon at Phoenix Cafe – vegan mexican food in the centre of town
- Pasta Loco – a new family-run Italian restaurant coming to Cotham Hill
- Khao & Bao – what was Baowow on Baldwin St is getting a makeover; stay tuned…
- Wilsons – a new neighbourhood bistro in Redland.
- Wapping Wharf – a variety of new harbourside businesses, including Mokoko, Better Food Co, Bertha’s Pizza and Small St Espresso!
And this month we’ve also said a very sad farewell to Goldbrick House, who occupied their spot on Park Street for 10 years.
That’s all for this month (full list of events below) – if you want some more suggestions to keep you busy this month, how about…
- Bristol’s Best Pub Gardens
- Bristol Hangover Destinations
- The Best Craft Beer Bars in Bristol
- The Vegetarian Guide to Bristol & Bath
- The ultimate Harbourside pub crawl
Dates for the diary
- Thu 5th – Cuban Thistle Crisis
- Thu 5th-Sun 8th – Bristol Bierfest
- Fri 6th – Cafe Mulino pop up
- Sun 8th – Yoga brunch club at The Forge
- Mon 9th – New world/Old world wine tasting at The Library
- Wed 11th – Make your own gin at Weber & Tring’s
- Wed 11th – Vegetarian tasting menu at Nettle & Rye
- Thu 12th – Wiper & True and Left Handed Giant takeover at Small Bar
- Fri 13th – Scotch egg masterclass at Little Kitchen
- Fri 13th – Cafe Mulino pop up
- Wed 18th – Plumed Serpent start their takeover at Mathilda’s
- Thu 19th – Spelt Night at River Cottage Canteen
- Thu 19th – Chocolate Bear Kitchen at Clifton Wine Bar
- Sat 21st – Bristol Brewery Tour
- Sat 21st – Brunch 808 hip hop brunch club at Club Haus
- Thu 26th – Scotch egg & craft beer pairing at The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer
- Fri 27th – Curry Club at Little Kitchen
- Fri 27th – Cafe Mulino pop up
- Sat 28th – Magical Macarons at Little Kitchen