And just like that, we’re into 2018!
2017 was a bumper year for food in Bristol (as you can see in my 2017 Highlights post) and now it’s time to look forward to a whole new year of munching.
Whether you’re on or off the booze this month, this is what January has in store…
The first of the January pormanteaus (or Janmanteaus, if you will), Veganuary is a chance for you to dial back on the meat and enjoy some vibrant veggie dishes. Plenty of restaurants in Bristol already offer up a great selection of veg dishes, but here are a few specials to look out for:
- Swoon have got some special new vegan flavours this month: Chocolate, Hazelnut & Orange, Peanut & Almond Milk, Raspberry sorbetto, Pistachio sorbetto, and Almond, Cinnamon, Date & Maple Syrup gelato (phwooooar). These will be available alongside Swoon’s regular vegan sorbetti – Chocolate or Mango (both lush).
- Turtle Bay have a decent vegan selection as it is but have launched a few new veg dishes, including Curried Chickpea with Peppers & Mushroom wrap, Festival Salad and spicy one-pots Ital Rundown and Spinach Aubergine & Sweet Potato Curry.
- Pieminister have introduced their latest vegan pie, curiously named Kevin. Filled with chestnut mushrooms, tomato, red wine with baby onions, red quinoa and thyme, this one sounds like a winter winner. If you’re not too keen on pastry they’re also doing a vegan potato-topped skillet dish called Roots Manoova, which contains roasted root vegetables, quinoa and red wine.
It’s not just the month of self restraint and detoxing – January can also be a month to start afresh and try something different! Tryanuary is all about getting out of your beery comfort zone and trying some brews you haven’t done so before.
Several of Bristol’s breweries and bars are getting in on the fun with special events:
- Friday 5th – Bristol Hoppers Tryanuary Special Beer Tour (ends at the LHG party)
- Friday 5th – Left Handed Giant Tryanuary Party
- Sat 20th – Free beer tasting at Love To Brew in Brislington, featuring local beers.
- Sat 27th – Fierce & Noble Tryanuary Party at their brewery.
Plus special flights every weekend at the Wiper & True brewery.
Have a giggle while you munch, and raise money for charity too. I’m going to a few of these, so hopefully see you there!
- Sun 7th – comedy at The Elephant House in Bedminster, with food from Bosh! £15 inc food (BYOB)
- Thu 11th – comedy at Box-E in Wapping Wharf, £10, food extra (deals on the night)
- Thu 11th – comedy at Gopal’s Curry Shack in Wapping Wharf, £18 inc food.
- Mon 15th – comedy at The Curry House in Brislington, £15 inc food.
- Tue 16th – comedy at The Oxford in Totterdown, donations on the night.
- Thu 18th – comedy workshop at Hart’s Bakery, £20.
- Thu 18th – comedy at Bean Tree Cafe in Staple Hill, £10, drinks & nibbles extra.
- Fri 19th – comedy at The Pickled Brisket in Wapping Wharf, £15 inc a fancy sandwich.
- Fri 19th – comedy at Bristol Spirit in Whitehall, £10, cocktails & nibbles extra.
- Sat 20th – comedy at Pinkmans on Park Street. £18 including mezze and doughnuts.
You’ve got a few options if you want your fill of haggis, whisky, neeps and tatties to honour the late great Scottish poet!
- Get your celebrations in early on 20th Jan at The Shakespeare in Totterdown with their 3 course meal of Scottish fare, as well as a ceilidh band to dance along to!
- Enjoy bagpipes, whisky and frolics at the Burns Night Party at The Three Tuns in Hotwells, free entry.
- 6 course Burns Night tasting dinner at The Pony & Trap with an optional whisky or wine flight, £60.
- 3 course dinner with whisky cocktail flight at Milk Thistle hosted by Glen Grant, £55.
- Burns Night Adventurous Eats Experience at The Bank Tavern, with optional wine and whisky.
- Burns Night Whisky Club at Hyde & Co, hosted by Glenmorangie, £25.
Classes & Workshops
Start the year by learning something new!
- Sat 6th & Tue 9th – Brewing Crash Course at Bristol Brewery School, £115
- Thu 11th – Arabian Night cookery & supper club at Square Food Foundation, £49
- Sun 14th – Truffles & Praline workshop at Zara’s Chocolates (or tempering workshop in the morning), £50
- Wed 24th – Vinyl & Vine tasting at Milk Thistle, £30
- Sun 28th – Decadent Desserts class at Little Kitchen, £45
There have already been a few exciting announcements for imminent openings in the city, from hotly-anticipated Pasta Ripiena, Roots Lounge and The Florist in the city centre to new taprooms for Left Handed Giant, Dawkins and Arbor Ales in the coming months.
I’m also particularly excited for the opening of Burger Bear on Gloucester Road and Woky Ko 2 on the Triangle – there’s also an extensive list of new food & drink openings on Bristol 24/7.
That’s it for this month – short and sweet. If you’re on the look for other blog posts to read:
- The Best of Bristol Food & Drink 2017
- The Vegetarian Guide to Bristol & Bath
- Bristol’s Best Cosy Pubs
- Bristol’s Best Winter Warmer Drinks
Dates for the Diary:
(or check the Calendar)
- Sat 6th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Tue 9th – Master Pasta course
- Thu 11th – An Arabian Night supper club
- Thu 11th – Taste of Marrakech cookery class
- Sat 13th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sun 14th – Truffles & Praline Workshop at Zara’s Chocolates
- Sun 14th – Chocolate Tempering Workshop at Zara’s Chocolates
- Thu 18th – Gin Masterclass
- Thu 18th – Curry Legend workshop at The Spicery
- Sat 20th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 20th – Gin Masterclass
- Sat 20th – Burns Night at The Shakespeare, Totterdown
- Tue 23rd – Scotch Egg Masterclass
- Wed 24th – Monkey 47 Gin Club at Milk Thistle
- Wed 24th – Vinyl & Vine tasting at Milk Thistle
- Thu 25th – Burns Night Whisky Club at Hyde & Co.
- Thu 25th – Burns Night Dinner at Milk Thistle
- Thu 25th – Curry Legend workshop at The Spicery
- Thu 25th – 6 Course Burns Night Dinner at The Pony & Trap
- Thu 25th – Burns Night Adventurous Eats at The Bank Tavern
- Thu 25th – Four Seasons: Winter supper club
- Fri 26th – Dinner at Aron’s Deli
- Sat 27th – Wiper & True brewery tour
- Sat 27th – Prosecco & Italian Sparkling tasting
- Sat 27th – Chocolate & Wine pairing
- Sun 28th – Yoga Brunch at Hamilton House
- Sun 28th – Decadent Desserts cookery class
- Sun 28th – Bishopston Supper Club Sunday Roast