It’s got a bit nippy hasn’t it?
The German Christmas Market has taken over Broadmead, everything smells like mulling spices or fireplaces – and we’re on the cusp of parties and chocolate for breakfast, hurrah!
Bristol is certainly slowing down this month, but there are still more than enough fun events for you to sink your proverbial teeth into…
Get your munch on
There’s more latin food fun in the form of the Tacos & Tequila night at Fuego on Thursday 10th, where you get to build your own tacos and drink lots of premium tequila for a nifty £15.
Around the corner that same evening on the 10th, Bristol brewing maestros Wiper & True are doing a tap takeover at The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer on King St, so expect lots of tasty beer, and lots of sore heads the next day.
You can also take in a film whilst you munch, as Cannoli & Gun‘s next event is Bad Santa at Salt Cafe in St George on Sunday 13th December. For £10 you get entrance to the film and a choice of sandwich (salt beef with gherkins & mustard, or halloumi with roasted veg, yum).
There are also the usual roster of tasty kitchen takeovers across town:
- The Feastie Boys at The Hillgrove from 1st-12th
- Indonesian pop-up at The Hillgrove from 15th-23rd
- The Little Taqueria at Brewdog every Tuesday
- Smoking Buns at The Old Bookshop for the whole of December
- The Shiny Diner at The Volunteer Tavern from 1st-23rd
Last Minute Presents!
Still got some presents left to buy?
Here are a list of markets taking place this month, so you should be able to find some nibbly bits and local produce to fill up that special someone’s stocking.
- Harbourside Market – every Sat & Sun
- Tobacco Factory Sunday Market, Southville – every Sun
- Whiteladies Road Market, Clifton – every Sat
- Sunday 6th – St Werburghs Christmas Fayre
- Thursday 10th – Temple Quay Market
- Saturday 12th – Windmill Hill Christmas Fair
- Saturday 12th – The Victoria Park Christmas Market
- Mon 14th-Sun 20th – Winter Tale at Creative Common/Yurt Lush
We’ve also got a few new places to try in town this month, with the opening of The Old Market Assembly on 1st December, which not only houses The Wardrobe Theatre, but also food and drink from the same team behind Canteen and No.1 Harbourside – how exciting!
(Incidentally, if you haven’t got tickets to their inaugural show ‘Goldilock Stock and Three Smoking Bears, you’re missing out).
The Ox on Whiteladies Road is also open for business – so you no longer have to stomp down the hill into the centre for their excellent steak and other assorted meaty treats (don’t hate me but their pigs trotters on toast are incredible).
Also, no sooner has veggie restaurant 1847 opened its doors, than we get 3 extra businesses opening on St Stephen’s Street!
New Year’s Eve
For those of you who want to plan ahead and not follow my example of sitting at home with 4 bottles of Prosecco, here are some of my picks for where to get groovy at NYE…
If you’re feeling a bit grand, Milk Thistle are hosting a big Victorian style New Year’s Eve party, complete with punch, dancers and a string quartet!
Or if you’re feeling something more food-centric, head to their cousin Pata Negra for a four course tapas feast, to The Lido in Clifton for their 5 course extravaganza, or to Cafe Maitreya for their six (!) course vegetarian/vegan menu.
PS. My main debates on Twitter this month were:
- Is Pineapple & Ham an acceptable pizza topping?
- What is your ultimate burger topping?
- What are you having for lunch?
So if you want to have your say in the next one – follow my scintillating* Twitter account!
*if you find tweets about condiments and food puns amusing, that is.
Dates for the Diary:
- Fri 4th – Cider tasting at The Cider Shop
- Sat 5th – Victorian Breakfast at The Historical Dining Rooms
- Sun 6th – Bellyful Peruvian feast at Bearittos
- Sun 6th – St Werburghs City Farm Winter Fayre
- Thu 10th – Tacos & Tequila night at Fuego
- Thu 10th – Wipe & True tap takeover at TFRNV
- Thu 10th – Blended gin tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Fri 11th – Cider tasting at The Cider shop
- Sat 12th – Celebration Supper at Bishopston Supper Club
- Sat 12th – Windmill Hill Christmas Fair
- Sat 12th – The Victoria Park Christmas Market
- Sun 13th – ‘Bad Santa’ film screening & food
- Wed 16th – Food & Wine matching masterclass
- Thu 17th – Blended gin tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Thu 17th – Cheese & Wine tasting at Bordeaux Quay
- Thu 31st – Mardi Gras Party at The Square Club
- Thu 31st – NYE Party at Small Bar
- Thu 31st – 6 course vegetarian feast at Maitreya Social
- Thu 31st – 5 course ‘Bird Food Experience’ at The Lido
- Thu 31st – A Very Victorian New Year at Milk Thistle
- Thu 31st – Tapas Feast at Pata Negra