The first week of December is fairly jam-packed; a last chance to get the foodie events in before the chaos of Christmas parties and last minute shopping!
There are celebrations (including the 150th anniversary of the Clifton Suspension Bridge on Sunday 7th December), tasting events, supper clubs, Christmas markets and pop-ups, plus the usual list of new businesses to investigate!
Here are my picks of the best food-centric frolics in the coming weeks.
Little Kitchen are running various helpful cooking classes throughout December, including patisserie, Christmas canapes and the best of street food around the world; their Mexican cooking class is on Wednesday 3rd and will show you how to make quesadillas, spicy chicken tacos, refried beans and salsa.
Thurday the 4th is big news for beer fans – firstly it’s the 1st birthday of Small Bar, so you can head along to help them celebrate and enjoy some music, cake and of course excellent beer! The same evening also sees a Siren Craft Brew tap takeover at Brewdog around the corner – this brewery is always turning out some incredible concoctions, so it should be a good night!
If you want to feel a bit more Christmassy, you can go to the Port, Cheese and Chocolate tasting at Bristol Wine School on Saturday 6th, or check out Love Food Presents Christmas at the Spiegeltent on Sunday 7th – both should give you a good dose of festive cheer.
The 8th of December sees the final in the ‘Adventurous Eats’ series at The Bank Tavern in the centre, the theme this month is ‘Surf and Turf’, with an exciting menu including fried oysters, crab ravioli, duck parfait and lots more!
It’s also the season for Christmas markets so you can stock up on gifts and treats for the end of the year – you can head along to the weekly Harbourside market every Sat and Sunday, or there are also markets at Trinity Arts Centre on 6th December, at the Southbank Club on 13th December, or at the SS Great Britain on 13th December.
Mini weekly events to get involved with if you’re a keen foodster include Coff-up, which is a ‘foodies coffee morning’ at Full Court Press every Thursday from 8am-10:30am; or the Gourmet Sandwich Club which runs every Friday, if you’re in the mood for a really special lunch!
We’ve had an eclectic mix of businesses opening in the old part of the city in the past few weeks, such as Sundaes Gelato opening on Baldwin St, serving up waffles, sundaes and other sweet treats alongside a hefty range of ice cream flavours. We’ve also welcomed Belgian beer bar Strawberry Thief to Broad St, and Thai-Caribbean fusion restaurant Dubthai to Christmas Steps.
Other new businesses worth a visit are American restaurant and cocktail bar Plead the 5th on Park Row, cute patisserie Curtis & Bell on North St, and popular Thai restaurant Giggling Squid in Clifton.
Other openings to look forward to in early 2015 include Mexican street food chain Wahaca on the Triangle, dessert bar Kaspa’s on Park Street, the second branch of Souk Kitchen on Apsley Rd in Clifton, and a sister bar to The Urban Standard opening on North Street in Bedminster.
Dates for the Diary:
- Mon 1st-Wed 31st – Coexist Christmas pop-up shop
- Wed 3rd – Little Kitchen Mexican cooking class
- Thu 4th – Small Bar‘s 1st birthday
- Thu 4th – Siren Tap Takeover at Brewdog
- Sat 6th – Port & Cheese tasting, Bristol Wine School
- Sat 6th – Winter market at Trinity Art Centre
- Sun 7th – Love Food Christmas at the Spiegeltent
- Mon 8th – Surf ‘n’ Turf at The Bank Tavern
- Tue 9th – Riverford supper club at Yurt Lush
- Tue 9th – Bosh! Pop-up at Stock Exchange Bakery
- Wed 10th – Christmas canapes at Little Kitchen
- Sat 13th – Christmas market at Southbank Club
- Sat 13th – Picton St Kitschmas Market
- Sat 13th – SS Great Britain Christmas Market
- Sun 14th – Sunday Market at the Tobacco Factory
- Sat 20th – Christmas party at The Bank Tavern
- Sun 21st – Community Christmas Street Party at The Alma
- Wed 24th – Free cider tasting at Arch House Deli
Enjoy your Christmas parties and December frolics!
If you like this, you’ll also like…