We’ve reached peak summer guys! (Looks out of window at thick mist and drizzle)
Well, I’m sure the sun will return before long and we can all return to those evenings sat supping cold beer on the quayside. let’s hope, ey?
Of course you already know that August is the month where the International Balloon Fiesta comes to town, and that the Bristol Good Food Awards are now open for voting, but I’m here to tell you about all the other delicious things happening over the next few weeks.
Pour yourself another glass of that wine you found on offer in the Co-op, it’s time to decide where you’ll be munching this month…
The first weekend in August (Fri 5th & Sat 6th) sees the arrival of the Cider & Sausage Festival (you’re already sold, right?). Expect live music, tasty sausages, and LOTS of real cider. Tickets are £6 in advance or £8 on the door.
On Sunday 14th August you can head along to the annual Tortilla Competition at El Rincon in Southville; feel free to bring along your own Spanish tortilla to be judged, or just come along for food, music and frolics.
The end of August plays host to Bristol Beer Week, culminating in the Bristol Craft Beer Festival on the weekend of 2nd & 3rd September. There will be beer-tastic events running throughout the week, but highlights include the East Bristol Brewery Trail (I’ll see you there), a beer academic’s talk at Good Chemistry’s brewery, a beer dinner at Bishopston Supper Club and a chance to be a Brewer for a Day at Wiper & True’s brewery in St Werbughs, nice!
The ever-popular Bosh! are doing another Mexican feast at The Elephant House on Friday 5th, with dishes including pork pibil, chipotle chicken tacos and coconut cake, yum! Sombreros are encouraged, and tickets cost £20 for 3 courses.
The guys at Foozie are at it again and have knocked up another fantastic event this month (in addition to their usual roster of Bristol bingo with chicken wings and a rave brunch!) – on Tuesday 23rd you can pop along to Knead & Feed at Pizzarova on Gloucester Rd and learn how to make your own pizzas, drinks are also provided throughout the evening. Tickets are £20 from Foozie.
Speaking of Pizzarova – they’re giving away more of their pink cards throughout August – these magical cards entitle you to unlimited free pizza forever, yes, FOREVER. FREE PIZZA FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Keep your eyes peeled for where & when they’re giving them out!
Finally, end your August on a high with a seafood feast at Brigstow Bar & Kitchen – enjoy 6 courses including lobster, crab soup & scallops that aren’t scallops (?) with one of the best views of the harbour. Tickets are just £28 too – nice!
Even if the heat doesn’t return outside, The Old Bookshop is bringing the tropics inside with their kitchen takeover from Izzie & Irie’s Cosy Dinners, who will be serving up zingy West Indian cuisine throughout August. There’s been a lot of buzz about their food so make sure you give it a try!
Coconut Chilli will be running a ‘Hill station inspired’ small plates feast at Spoker & Stringer on 23rd & 24th, with treats including duck kofta, potato & pea croquettes and chicken biryani.
After what feels like ages, Pasta Loco is now open on Cotham Hill, and they’re already getting rave reviews. I tried their carbonara recently and it was frickin’ lush; plus they have also converted me to the wonders of gnocchi, so make sure you pop in and try some of their fresh pasta.
Another newbie worth checking out this month is Five Grains – Lebanese street food from a chilled restaurant on Baldwin St in the centre.
Many of the businesses in Wapping Wharf have now thrown their doors open to the public (welcome to Better Food Co, Mokoko and Pizzarova!) and will soon be joined by two more very hotly-anticipated businesses; first up is Wild Beer Co, who will be opening their bar & kitchen on Friday 2nd August, followed by Bertha’s Pizza later in the month.
On the subject of fine pizza, give a friendly wave across the harbour to Pi Shop, the latest business to open from the clever crew behind Michelin-starred Casamia (handily located next door) – their menu looks incredible, from classics such as the Margherita and Hawaiian (yaaay!) to more specialist pizzas, including their £30 pizza with shaved truffle.
On a sadder note, this month we’ll also be bidding farewell to one of my favourite businesses – Aron’s Jewish Deli in Redland. Make sure you pay them a visit before they close on Sunday 28th and try their epic Reuben sandwiches, latkes and cakes!
That’s it for this month, if you want some other recommendations to keep you going, how about these recently updated guides wot I did?
- The Vegetarian Guide to Bath & Bristol
- Bristol’s Best Pizzas
- Where to Treat Yourself in Bristol
- Budget Dining in Bristol
- Bristol Pub Crawls
Dates for the diary
- Wed 3rd – Steak & Lobster night at Brigstow Bar + Kitchen
- Fri 5th – Bosh Mexican supper club at The Elephant House
- Fri 5th- Sat 6th – Bristol Sausage & Cider Festival
- Mon 8th – Beer & Cheese night at Small Bar
- Mon 8th – 3rd Sept – Kaedama pop up at Mockingbird Cafe
- Wed 10th – Sake tasting at Weber & Tring’s
- Sat 13th – Master Pasta class at Little Kitchen
- Sun 14th – Tortilla competition at El Rincon
- Thu 18th – Gin Club at Milk Thistle
- Sat 20th – Magical Macaroons class at Little Kitchen
- Tue 23rd – Knead & Feed pizza making event at Pizzarova
- Tue 23rd-Wed 24th – Hill station feast at Spoker & Stringer
- Friday 26th – Curry Club at Little Kitchen
- Sat 27th – East Bristol Brewery Trail
- Sat 27th – Weird Beard tap takeover at The Bartley Mow
- Sat 27th – Brunch 808: Classic House Brunch
- Sat 27th – Introduction to Wine course at Cliufton Wine School
- Sun 28th – Silent disco lunch at Bambalan
- Sun 28th – Sour beer festival at Small Bar
- Sun 28th-Mon 29th – Cider festival at The Lanes
- Mon 29th – Wiper & True tap takeover at Kong’s
- Tue 30th – Troubadour Belgian beers & dinner at Strawberry Thief
- Tue 30th – Think While You Drink at Good Chemistry’s brewery
- Tue 30th – Brewer for a day at Wiper & True’s brewery
- Wed 31st – Seafood & Shellfish Night at Brigstow Bar & Kitchen
- Wed 31st – Cantastic beer tasting at Brewdog
- Wed 31st – Wild Beer Co tap takeover at The Royal Navy Volunteer
- Wed 31st – New World vs Old World wine tasting at Avery’s
- Thu 1st – Beer feast at Bishopston Supper Club
- Thu 1st – Thornbridge beer, cheese and tap takeover at Small Bar
- Fri 2nd – Beermuda Beer Festival – BBW closing party
- Fri 2nd-Sat 3rd – Bristol Craft Beer Festival